Error: ???Workspace or data source is read only.??? from file geodatabases

03-21-2013 06:28 AM
JensHaffner
New Contributor II
After updating from ArcObjects 10.0 to 10.1 (service pack 1), we are receiving this error quite often:
          ???Workspace or data source is read only.???

• Our ArcObjects applications update and alter featureclasses and tables in file geodatabases.

• These applications have been doing exactly the same things in 10.0 without any problems.

This is really a BIG issue, if there is no solution, we???ll have do downgrade and prevent our customers from upgrading to 10.1.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
DustinSchornagel
New Contributor
Next day...Thanks to the ESRI team for addressing my issues. Opening the database folders in Windows Explorer, clicking on the 'Properties' tab and un-checking the 'Read-only' radio button, then applying it to all folders and sub-folders has helped me continue projects without that annoying message!

This also worked for me. Thanks!

Don't forget to restart ArcMap after making the change
0 Kudos
DerekHeitz
New Contributor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26156[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26157[/ATTACH]

I'm having the same problems as the users above, and unchecking the "read-only" box only serves as a temporary fix.  I never had this problem with 10.0, but it's popping up on all of my edits on my Windows 7 laptop.  Everything is fine on my desktop, running 10.0.
0 Kudos
NicholasSeltzer
New Contributor
This didn't help in my case. Instead, I learned that I had to exclude the FGDB path from being scanned by MS Security Essentials. There seems to be a bug #NIM088911 "When using background processing while Microsoft Security Essentials is running real time protection, the process fails. By either turning off background processing, OR turning off Microsoft Security Essentials, the process works.", but the bug document is only visible to ESRI (and the NSA of course). Why?

Wuuuut?? You have to be kidding me. I tried uninstalling MS Security Essentials and it works. I don't know who is to blame for this, but someone deserves a beating.
0 Kudos
AllisonHoskin-Kain
New Contributor III
Hi All,

I am having the same issue and it's random.  I am on Windows XP and am testing 10.1 for my department while we wait for the upgrade.  As my colleagues are on 10.0 I have to create most of my File GDB in 10.0 for them to use as well.  However I can create a file gdb in 10.1 as well, be using it and then all of a sudden the error occurs.  No one else is using the gdb and my colleague can save to it using 10.0.  This is really frustrating.  Is there an easy solution?  Due to govt policy I am not able to remove/add anything and I am hoping that there is an easy solution. 

Thank you
Allison
0 Kudos
FridjofSchmidt
Occasional Contributor
Hi All,

I am having the same issue and it's random. [...] Due to govt policy I am not able to remove/add anything and I am hoping that there is an easy solution. 

Thank you
Allison

Do you have MS Security Essentials installed on your computer? If so, try to talk to a system administrator to see if they can exclude the path to your data from being scanned.
DrewDowling
Occasional Contributor III

This was my problem as well, thanks for the suggestion. In my case IT had just set MS Forefront Endpoint Protection to do a full system scan Thursday afternoons, right when I started getting this error. The same script runs without issue any other time.

0 Kudos
PaddyKoilkonda
New Contributor

I had similar issue whilst running customised application on ArcGIS 10.0 on Win 7 upgraded pc's.  With reasonable testing, I have requested our IT support to enable full control on cdrive settings and tweaked a bit with group policies.

I had no issue running on XP as all users have access without any limitations which is not the case with Win 7.

Also, suggest to check environment settings.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos