Error: ???Workspace or data source is read only.??? from file geodatabases

03-21-2013 06:28 AM
JensHaffner
New Contributor II
After updating from ArcObjects 10.0 to 10.1 (service pack 1), we are receiving this error quite often:
          ???Workspace or data source is read only.???

• Our ArcObjects applications update and alter featureclasses and tables in file geodatabases.

• These applications have been doing exactly the same things in 10.0 without any problems.

This is really a BIG issue, if there is no solution, we???ll have do downgrade and prevent our customers from upgrading to 10.1.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
FridjofSchmidt
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I've been observing the same issue. We have a bunch of integration tests that operate on a file geodatabase. All tests run successfully in 10.0, but in 10.1 SP1 some tests randomly fail with the above message.

The file geodatabase was created in 10.0, but the Upgrade Geodatabase button is greyed out.
0 Kudos
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor
Are your file geodatabases located on a network or local drive?
0 Kudos
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor
Are any of you running on a network drive? Is anyone viewing the data while you are editing the data? If they are you may seen behavior like this. Note this is by process, not user. I you are editing the data and you have ArcCatalog open then you may be blocking the the save of edits and receive an error of this nature.

Please contact Technical Support and have them help you with this issue.
0 Kudos
ChristineFairbairn
New Contributor
Hello,
Has anyone solved these workspace issues yet - I am having the same problems..with ArcMap 10 on a laptop computer, full licence. It is very frustrating and I hope there is a simple solution!
0 Kudos
ChristineFairbairn
New Contributor
Next day...Thanks to the ESRI team for addressing my issues. Opening the database folders in Windows Explorer, clicking on the 'Properties' tab and un-checking the 'Read-only' radio button, then applying it to all folders and sub-folders has helped me continue projects without that annoying message!
0 Kudos
FridjofSchmidt
Occasional Contributor
This didn't help in my case. Instead, I learned that I had to exclude the FGDB path from being scanned by MS Security Essentials. There seems to be a bug #NIM088911 "When using background processing while Microsoft Security Essentials is running real time protection, the process fails. By either turning off background processing, OR turning off Microsoft Security Essentials, the process works.", but the bug document is only visible to ESRI (and the NSA of course). Why?
DrewDowling
Occasional Contributor III

Fridjof

I'm looking for documentation on this bug to send to my IT department but I can't find it listed anywhere, do you have a link or is ESRI still keeping it a secret?

0 Kudos
FridjofSchmidt
Occasional Contributor

Drew,

a search on support.esri.com only returns this thread. I got the information through my local Esri software distributor. Maybe you can get more information by opening a support incident at Esri.

0 Kudos