Error Compiling ArcObjects Sample

Jump to solution
05-08-2013 08:59 AM
DanielSanders
New Contributor III
I installed the ArcObjects SDK .NET (10.1) on my system. When I try to build the solution for the NetSimpleRESTSOE project, I get this error:

"Could not load file or assembly 'ESRI.ArcGIS.SOESupport, Version=10.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fc3cc631e44ad86' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

I've tried with Visual Studio 2012, Visual Web Developer 2010 Express, and Visual C# 2010 Express, but all give the same error.

Any ideas why?

Does the ArcObjects SDK .NET need to be installed on the SAME server where ArcGIS Server is installed?

Thanks...
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Make sure that the Copy Local property on the SOE assembly reference is set to True.

If you can't get it to work then try adding the SOE assembly to the GAC yourself.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I have both SDK and Server installed.

Here is where it is on my machine:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.1\bin

It is also in the GAC:

C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\ESRI.ArcGIS.SOESupport\10.1.0.0__8fc3cc631e44ad86

My expectation would be that you would have it in the DeveloperKit but probably not the cache.  In that case you need to add a reference to the assembly by browsing to it on the file system.  If you do that then I think that it should build for you.
0 Kudos
DanielSanders
New Contributor III
Thanks for your reply. I have the SOESupport dll in
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.1\bin and it was already in the bin directory of the sample. I should have mentioned that initially I got a different error, then added a reference to SOESupport.

I don't have it in the GAC though and ArcGIS Server is not installed on the machine. So maybe that's the issue...
0 Kudos
DanielSanders
New Contributor III
Having ArcObjects and ArcGIS installed on the same machine presents a dilemma for us. We only have 1 license for ArcGIS server and I thought that development/testing copies are not allowed. That means we would need to use the machine were ArcGIS server is installed. But that would mean getting another license for Visual Studio to install on that machine. Besides that it would make me nervous doing development and testing on a production machine.

Is there anyone that has been able to develop an ArcObjects SOE with .NET on a machine that has the ArcObjects SDK installed, but not ArcGIS server?

Thanks...
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Make sure that the Copy Local property on the SOE assembly reference is set to True.

If you can't get it to work then try adding the SOE assembly to the GAC yourself.
0 Kudos
DanielSanders
New Contributor III
Once I added the SOESupport dll to the GAC the solution built just fine. Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos