Select to view content in your preferred language

Development starting point

05-21-2013 01:26 PM
KyleWright2
Emerging Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to learn about ArcGIS in an effort to use it inside an application I am building.  It simply needs to allow for the placing of "sensors", the drawing of polygons, and importing highly detailed terrain data.  My current line of thinking is to build a LabView program.  I hope to achieve this by building a C# .dll that can be called.  Naturally I've been looking for any kind of C# example that uses ArcGIS.  PREFERABLY one in a Windows Form application considering that's what I have the most experience in.

However, I have had a hard time reading through and understanding how the ArcGIS API works.  There appears to be many different versions (REST, SOAP, etc.) and the tutorials seem old (http://edndoc.esri.com/arcobjects/8.3/gettingstarted/walkthrough1cs.htm).  Not to mention the different types of ArcGIS (Globe, Maps).

The above tutorial in particular mentions .dll's that I don't know how to get... ESRI.ArcObjects.Core?  No clue where to get that.

So I would love input on where you guys think I should begin. Not even sure if I am in the most appropriate forum...

I have the desktop version of ArcGIS as well as the "Engine" and "ArcObjects" I think.  Does anyone know of any example projects in C# (again, preferably ones that aren't WPF)?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
That is an old link you're looking at. Instead, start at the ArcObjects Help section and explore the many topics and tutorials included.
0 Kudos
KyleWright2
Emerging Contributor
Yeah, that's what I've been reading through.  And they are helpful, but not enough.  For example I am here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcobjects-net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//000100000243000000

This link sounds perfect for what I need to do.  However they don't mention what software I need to accomplish this tutorial...

Under "Loading the ArcGIS Engine controls" #4 - "On the Choose Toolbox Items dialog box, click the .NET Framework Components tab and select AxLicenseControl, AxMapControl, AxPageLayoutControl, AxTOCControl, and AxToolbarControl, then click OK."

So... I have the ArcObjects Developer Kit for .Net which includes AxMapControl and AxPageLayoutControl.  Unfortunately that's not even half of the required files.  I have no clue where to get the others and the tutorial doesn't even begin to mention it. 

Further down, step 6, I don't have any of these: ESRI.ArcGIS.ADF.Local, ESRI.ArcGIS.Carto, ESRI.ArcGIS.Display, ESRI.ArcGIS.Geometry, ESRI.ArcGIS.Output, ESRI.ArcGIS.System, ESRI.ArcGIS.SystemUI, and ESRI.ArcGIS. 

Can you point me in the right direction again?
0 Kudos
KyleWright2
Emerging Contributor
0 Kudos
LeoDonahue
Deactivated User
It's at the very end of the page:

To develop it, you need a:  Engine Developer Kit  (which should come with a license of ArcGIS Desktop)

To deploy it, you need a license of one of the following: 

Engine
ArcGIS for Desktop Basic
ArcGIS for Desktop Standard
ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced
0 Kudos
KyleWright2
Emerging Contributor
Okay so I'm working with government computers and I don't know if they have the engine.  They have ArcGIS desktop.  If they have that, do they have the engine?  If they don't can it be downloaded from somewhere? How can I check to see if they have the engine?
0 Kudos
AndreaFlesca
Emerging Contributor
It simply needs to allow for the placing of "sensors", the drawing of polygons, and importing highly detailed terrain data.

Hi wrightky,
I am Andrea, and I'm writing from Italy.
Maybe I've got a little help for you, but only if my understanding (of the problem) is correct. As I'm not a native English speaker, I'm not sure, so let's try:

You load a terrain layer of data into your GIS viewer. Then you need to add a vector layer produced by you in order to see your vector layer overlapped to the existing terrain data layer. You also have license problems...:(
Well, if the situation is this, here are my two cents:

You need to be able to realize one or more data files in shapefile format. Into the shapefile you can put your points, polylines, poligones and text labels.
In order to produce a shapefile for your needs, you have to use these C++ open source libraries: http://shapelib.maptools.org/. It's very easy, you will not have problem (or you can ask me if you need).
Once you have created your shapefile, just put in into your GIS viewer.

Let me know,
regards

Andrea
0 Kudos