Select to view content in your preferred language

Developing an Extension for Direct Feature Service Editing in ArcMap

07-26-2024 06:29 AM
PaulLohr
Frequent Contributor

Is it possible to develop an extension for ArcMap which makes it possible to directly edit an ESRI feature service? The out of the box solution will not directly edit the feature service. It forces the user to make a local copy of the features, which is a problem.

"Pro" does not fulfill other requirements of the project.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcMap and ArcGIS pro support editing feature services.

ArcMap is on the way out and may not support editing more recent things, like services published to latest version of ArcGIS server using Pro.

Users should be moving away from ArcMap. 

If you want more assistance I'd suggest providing more info and focusing on Pro.

0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Frequent Contributor

It would be helpful if we spoke about the level of "support" rather than limiting ourselves by generally saying a product supports this or that.

• As an example, Field Maps "supports" relationships but in a certain case Collector on Android is the only app that supports what we are doing. But we are supposed to be using the latest version of Field Maps?

The important detail is that ArcMap does not fully support the direct editing of feature services. A local copy has to be created, which does not satisfy our requirements. If someone knows of an out of the box way to directly edit feature services, I'd appreciate it if you could educate me.

The answer is always the same: "If it doesn't work, switch to Pro." Never mind system or user requirements.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

If someone comes to the ESRI forum and says I want to build something in ArcMap we would fail as a community if we did not highlight it's upcoming retirement.

No one means to neglect your needs nor dismiss the migration effort / product equivalency.

I hope someone else can help you.

0 Kudos