Deploying your Add In Button

03-03-2011 04:05 AM
MartinRick
Occasional Contributor II
Hello ArcGIS fellows,

during the last two days I tried to find out how to deploy a really simple Add In button from Java (in Eclipse). After exporting my project, I get the esriaddin file which can be executed either from the file explorer or from ArcMap's customize mode.
After launching the esriaddin-file I get the confirmation screen which tells me the "Martins Category.Martins Button" has been added, but there is no new category. Does anyone else experience this program behaviour. I would greatly appreciate if there would be some help out there. My simple code and the asriaddin file is located in the attachments of this post.

Thanks for your response.

Martin
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffreyHamblin
New Contributor III
Hello Martin,

It looks to me that your MartinsAddIn.esriaddin does not contain the complete structure and necessary files. You can open the file with a ZIP viewer.

The file structure is described here:
Advanced add-in concepts

Without further info, I suspect the build process is at fault.

It is interesting that the Add-In Installation Utility does not validate the Add-In for required structure and files.

Hopefully someone working in Java with Eclipse can help you further...

-Jeff
0 Kudos
MartinRick
Hi Jeff,

thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunately I still can not convince the Add-in to work. I changed my "Hello World" project to make it even easier. Now I just generate a toolbar with a button which has a class file without any function. This means ArcGIS should just display the toolbar and the button.
After installing the Add-In it tells me that both (toolbar and button) have successfully been installed, but I can only add the toolbar which has no button. In the attachments you can see the entire Java code, the AddIn-file with its config.xml and the chronological ordered screenshots.

I would really appreciate any developer help!

With kind regards

Martin
0 Kudos
MartinRick
Hello,

finally I found the solution for my problem. It seems that the "Import from File" option in ArcMap causes some problems if the .esriaddin file is not located in the following location:

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\ArcGIS\AddIns\Desktop10.0

It is a bit strange that ArcMap could import the Toolbar, but not the depending Buttons. So if you develope any kind of Add-In I would recommend to copy them directly to the path under My Documents or use the "Double Click" Deploy method.

Thanks to Jeff again for his advices.

With regards,

Martin
0 Kudos