DEBUGGING: Symbol Not Loaded

Jump to solution
03-28-2012 02:15 PM
BillGrow
New Contributor II
Hi,

I can no longer debug my add-in project. I get an error that "No symbols have been loaded for this project". I followed this post: http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//000100000127000000 , but it only loaded "ESRI.DADF.Core.dll"

Attached is a screen of my IDE in debug, with current debug symbol options.

Thanks!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13088[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
If you want to debug code which uses the 4.0 framework then you have to uncomment the line associated with it.  Note that this is just about debugging.  Only uncomment the 1 line, i.e. change nothing else.

3.5 framework code should debug just fine with no changes required because this is what ESRI requires.  Visual Studio has a window which shows you which DLLs (Modules) are loaded.  Look in that view and see if your code is loading and is loading from the location that you expect.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
The debug symbols you set up are great but they are for debugging Microsoft and ESRI code and not yours.

Make sure that specify to launch ArcMap.exe in the Debug project section and launch your project using this.

If that does not work then it is probably loading a version of your add-in other than the one you built.  You should be able to use Process Explorer, or Visual Studio, to determine this.
0 Kudos
sumanikunada
New Contributor
I'm running into a similar issue. Unable to debug my Arcmap add-in in ArcGIS 10.1/VS 2010.

In debug mode, the breakpoint shows "No symbols loaded for document..."
Looking under Debug/Modules window,  all DLLs for ESRI.ArcGIS... show "Cannot find or open the PDB file" for symbols.

I followed instructions from the link, http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//000100000127000000 and tried downloading symbols from ESRI Symbol Server, http://downloads2.esri.com/Support/symbols/,
with no luck.

It was working fine in ArcGIS 10.0/VS2008. As soon as upgraded to ArcGIS 10.1/VS2010, it stopping working.

Please help.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
If you are using the 4.0 or 4.5 framework then you have to modify the ArcMap.exe.config file.  The file is in the same directory as ArcMap.exe.
sumanikunada
New Contributor
I tried changing the .NET framework to 3.5sp1 in VS2010 but that did not help either.

In  ArcMap.exe.config, I see the following
    <!--<supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319"/>-->
    <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>

So do I modify the above lines to fit the .Net framework?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
If you want to debug code which uses the 4.0 framework then you have to uncomment the line associated with it.  Note that this is just about debugging.  Only uncomment the 1 line, i.e. change nothing else.

3.5 framework code should debug just fine with no changes required because this is what ESRI requires.  Visual Studio has a window which shows you which DLLs (Modules) are loaded.  Look in that view and see if your code is loading and is loading from the location that you expect.
sumanikunada
New Contributor
Thanks rlwatson!

I couldn't make it to work with 3.5sp1 framework.

I uncommented/commented the below lines in ArcMap.exe.config
<supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319"/>
<!--<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>-->

And changed the framework back to .NET 4 in VS2010 and the debugger seems to be working now!

Thanks again:)
0 Kudos
Swani_Jesus_Captonsiluvairajan
New Contributor III
Yes, this solution worked for me too!  Thanks, Capton.
0 Kudos
Swani_Jesus_Captonsiluvairajan
New Contributor III
Thanks rlwatson!

I couldn't make it to work with 3.5sp1 framework.

I uncommented/commented the below lines in ArcMap.exe.config
<supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319"/>
<!--<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>-->

And changed the framework back to .NET 4 in VS2010 and the debugger seems to be working now!

Thanks again:)

Yes,  This worked for me.  Thank you.
0 Kudos