Select to view content in your preferred language

Converting VBA form to .Net

08-26-2010 06:52 AM
JasonMiller
Deactivated User
I almost feel stupid for posting this topic because I'm sure the answer is far more simple than what I've been able to come up with....

In ArcView 9.3 (and before), I created some UserForms in the MXD file using VBA.  It was pretty simple.  For instance, I had one where I wanted to compare the field layouts of 2 shapefiles, so I made 2 list boxes and some buttons that populated those list boxes with field names.  Another form I had allowed a user to put in "default values" for new features into textboxes that were on a form

Now in ArcView 10, all of that has changed...  The simple question is, how do I create a custom form in version 10 using Visual Studio 2008?  I read about doing a Desktop Add-in, but I don't think that is what I want.  I want to be able to build a form with as many textboxes, buttons, etc. on it and write code to make those controls work.  Is it really that difficult or am I just missing something incredibly obvious...?

JMiller
0 Kudos
1 Reply
LesleyBross
Deactivated User
I think the easiest way to accomplish this in v10 is to use the Add-In framework. The ESRI templates from the SDK make it pretty easy. If you add a Dockable Window component to your add-in, you'll have access to the form designer to add fields, buttons, etc. There is also a code view like VBA for responding to form events. Good luck!
0 Kudos