cannot run arcgis engine jar file on unix machine

06-03-2011 01:18 PM
nhieuduong
New Contributor
we created a java program using arcgis engine 9.3 and packaged it in a jar file. when we use runtime 9.3 to execute the jar file on a windows machine , the program runs fine. however when we execute the same jar file on a unix machine (centos 5) we get a very ambigious error that points to a some code. i should add that we wrote the java program in windows..

so basically im wondering if you cant make the arcgis java program in windows and have runtime 9.3 run it in unix?

heres the error we get when we put execute it in the command line... ("java -jar Window3.jar")

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoader.main(JarRsrcLoader.java:58)
Caused by: AutomationException: 0x800a03e8 -
        at com.esri.arcgis.interop.NativeObjRef.init(Native Method)
        at com.esri.arcgis.interop.NativeObjRef.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.esri.arcgis.interop.Ocx.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.esri.arcgis.controls.MapControl.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.esri.arcgis.beans.map.MapBean.a(Unknown Source)
        at com.esri.arcgis.beans.map.MapBean.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.aor.mapping.Map.<init>(Map.java:353)
        at com.aor.seasimgui.MainWindow.<init>(MainWindow.java:260)
        at com.aor.seasimgui.MainWindow.main(MainWindow.java:634)

we tried using some sample jar files that arcgis provides and it gave us the same error. we sourced the init_engine.sh file first and even sourced the java one as well(init_java.sh) but nothing works..im hoping someone who has encounterd this before can shed some light as to what is going on.

thanks in advance to anyone who replies. any info even if its just brainstorming ideas is much appreciated...
0 Kudos
27 Replies
nhieuduong
New Contributor
we installed a trial version of red hat on the virtual machine but we still get the same error mssg as before. same error and same everything. what is going on?
0 Kudos
EricBader
Occasional Contributor III
I'm not sure what's going on.
Are you using Oracle's JRE on your Linux machine?
That is the JRE you should be using.
0 Kudos
nhieuduong
New Contributor
yes we are, downloaded and installed..

it would at least make some sense if our own java programs didnt work but to have arcgis engine devo kit sample java programs (there jar files) to not work also, indicates we are missing something here, something fundamental.
0 Kudos
EricBader
Occasional Contributor III
Ok.
Fundamental question, but you did run the softwareauthorization utility, correct?
0 Kudos
nhieuduong
New Contributor
yes , we ran the authorization utility and in the authorization summery app it says we got the runtime licensed.
0 Kudos
nhieuduong
New Contributor
we have been trying for a while now, with every method we can think of. we are having no luck. the error message is ambigious, and the customer service for arcgis is of no help. if anyone has any ideas, even just brainstorming post them on the thread. im running out of ideas as to why this is not working.
0 Kudos
nhieuduong
New Contributor
the weird thing is that if i follow the whole procedure in root, i get a different msg. the error msg i get is

could not load native libraries. ArcGIS/bin should be added to LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ntvinv in java.library.path..

i followed exactly what they said to do for the post installation . i shouldnt be getting this error. also is root needed to run arcgis ?
0 Kudos
GriffinSchalow
New Contributor
Root is not needed. You should be using the same user that ArcGIS Engine Runtime was installed by.
0 Kudos
GriffinSchalow
New Contributor
Also, Red Hat 5 was not supported at 9.3. Support for Red Hat 5 was added with 9.3 Service Pack 1 and in 9.3.1.

This KB article explains how to upgrade to enable RH5 support.
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/35856
0 Kudos
nhieuduong
New Contributor
sorry for the confusion
we are using arcgis runtime 9.3.1 . should i go ahead and install the rh install thing in your link just in case?
0 Kudos