Cannot create an instance of AppRef

Jump to solution
08-11-2014 04:19 PM
MichaelEber
Occasional Contributor

I am having an issue with our cost distance raster.  I tried using our methods that worked in 10.0 to add these to the table of contents on the map to see the values returned.  However when I all either

IApplication baseApp = (IApplication)Activator.CreateInstance(Type.GetTypeFromCLSID(new Guid("E1740EC5-9513-11D2-A2DF-0000F8774FB5")));

or I call

IApplication baseApp = (IAplication)Activator.CreateInstance(Type.GetTypeFromProgID("esriFramework.AppRef"));

I get the same error returned :

Process Failed: System.Runime.InteropServices.COMException.....IClassFactory Failed due to error 8000ffff

I've seen discussions on Stack Overflow that you have to be inside an Arcmap enviroment....however I AM inside an Arcmap environment.

Is there a new way to do this inside 10.2.2 that these........developers didn't share with us???

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErinBrimhall
Occasional Contributor II

One last idea: have you tried using the IAppROT (running object table) interface from the GP tool to get a hook to ArcMap?  Lack of #CODE formatting in the new forums is a bummer, but here is an example of AppROT usage:

IAppROT appRot = new AppROTClass();

for (int i = 0; i < appRot.Count; i++)

{

if (appRot.Item.Name == "ArcMap")

{

IApplication arcMapApplication = appRotItem.Item as IApplication;

}

}

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ErinBrimhall

I don't believe you should be creating an instance of an IApplication; you should be getting a hook to an existing instance (that represents ArcMap itself).

Is your code inside of a custom ArcMap extension?  If so, there should be an automatically generated ArcMap static class that exposes an Application property.  Assuming this is true, the following code would work:

IApplicaiton baseApp = ArcMap.Application;

0 Kudos
MichaelEber
Occasional Contributor

Activator.CreateInstance is how you get a hook into the singleton.  I'm running a geoprocessing service as a tool inside Arcmap and as I said before I have done this without issues in ArcMap 10.0.  It is now broken in 10.2.2

0 Kudos
ErinBrimhall

I follow you now. 

There are a few variations on the code used to obtain a reference to the IApplication singleton, but nothing fundamentally different. 

I am running 10.2.1 and both approaches work for getting a hook to the IApplication.  Besides the ArcDesktop version difference, this code is running from an Add-In as opposed to a Tool.

Does your custom tool implement the ITool interface, or is it derived from BaseTool?

0 Kudos
MichaelEber
Occasional Contributor

We implement our code using IGPFunction2 interface and the IGPFunctionFactory for exposing them to Arcmap.

0 Kudos
ErinBrimhall

One last idea: have you tried using the IAppROT (running object table) interface from the GP tool to get a hook to ArcMap?  Lack of #CODE formatting in the new forums is a bummer, but here is an example of AppROT usage:

for (int i = 0; i < appRot.Count; i++)

{

if (appRot.Item.Name == "ArcMap")

{

IApplication arcMapApplication = appRotItem.Item as IApplication;

}

}

0 Kudos
MichaelEber
Occasional Contributor

Wow!  That worked!  Nice of ESRi to force us to search for ways to get around their coding screwups. 

Like I had nothing better to do.

BTW : Here is the code I implemented -- a bit different from what you did.

IApplication baseApp = null;

for (int index = 0; index< appRot.Count; index++)

{

if (appRot.get_Item(index) is ESRI.ArcGIS.Framework.AppRef)

baseApp = (IApplication)appRot.get_Item(index);

}

Thanks, Erin

0 Kudos
ErinBrimhall

Nice!  I'm happy this worked for you.

0 Kudos