BindLicense with multiple products

08-06-2014 07:32 AM
BerendVeldkamp
Occasional Contributor II

I want to check all installed products, and bind to the first available one. Now I have a machine with an expired Engine license, but with a valid Desktop license. The following code should do the trick, but it doesn't. If the first checked license is not available, all others fail as well. If I change the order of the list, e.g. Desktop comes first, it works, if Engine is first, it doesn't.

foreach (var product in new[] {ProductInfo.Engine, ProductCode.Desktop, ProductCode.Server})
{
    try
    {
        RuntimeManager.BindLicense(product, LicenseLevel.Standard);
        Console.WriteLine("Arcgis product {0} is licensed", product);
        return true;
    }
    catch (RuntimeManagerException e)
    {
        Console.WriteLine("Arcgis product {0} is not licensed", product);
        Console.WriteLine(e.Message);                   
    }
}

return false;

Any idea why this doesn't work?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

No idea why it would fail but have you tried the alternate overloaded method of BindLicence(productcode)? May be that will work?

0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

check with Bind (BindLicense bind and initialize)

if (!RuntimeManager.Bind(ProductCode.Engine))

{

if (!RuntimeManager.Bind(ProductCode.Desktop))

{

MessageBox.Show("Unable to bind to ArcGIS runtime. Application will be shut down.");

return;

}

}

0 Kudos
BerendVeldkamp
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks to both of you for your answers, but they didn't solve my problem. I tried both overloads of BindLicense(), but that makes no difference. In fact, according to the docs, BindLicense(product) binds to a Standard license level by default, so my code is equivalent to it.

Bind() doesn't raise errors, but it doesn't check out a license either, so it's no good.

0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

Bind binds to product but then you need initialize. It doesn't raise error if it doesn't bind product : it return false. While BindLicense is void. You need target project in x86

if (RuntimeManager.Bind(ProductCode.Server)) 

{ 

IAoInitialize aoInit = new AoInitializeClass(); 

esriLicenseStatus a = aoInit.Initialize(esriLicenseProductCode.esriLicenseProductCodeArcServer); 

}

0 Kudos