Annotate Selected Features (ArcMap 10.2.1)

01-28-2019 06:10 AM
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

Hi –

I’ve got a file geodatabase with lines, points and feature-linked annotation.  For creating new annotation features I’m using the “Selection | Annotate Selected Features” tool from the ArcMap table of contents.  Always for a single selected feature at a time.  Sometimes this can be quick, like a second or two, but often it’s slow, taking 30 to 45 seconds to annotate a single feature.

The process brings up a dialog that describes steps:

- Setting up annotation

-  Giving features to the label engine

-  Labeling features

-  Creating the annotation elements

When it’s slow it seems to pause at the step “Giving features to the label engine”.   The target annotation class doesn’t really have a complex expression.  It is usually getting a value from a single field.  I’ve tried with and without a feature cache built – no difference.

I also found a reference in Geo.Net back in 2014 that reported an issue with a corrupted group layer. (https://community.esri.com/message/95014).   So I tried creating a new map with only the source feature layer and related anno layer.  Still slow.

A thing I *did* do that make be a clue is change the annotation expression from one that used JavaScript to one that uses VBScript.  The two expressions produced the same text string.  Not sure if this would make a difference.

Any pointers on why this step would take so long and what I can do to improve it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

0 Replies