ADO, DAO or ArcObjects?

07-11-2010 10:25 PM
MartinMeyer
New Contributor
Hi,

during the development of an ArcGIS macro I've come across the question whether to use ADO/DAO or the ArcObjects database functions to exchange data between the macro/ArcGIS and a personal geodatabase (*.mdb).
I'v come to the conclusion that DAO is, in most cases, the fastest way for data exchange. My question is: why are the ArcObjects functions so slow? I guess that in a way these functions also use one of the above mentioned techniques, but of course I can't take a look behind the curtain in order to verify this.

Thanks in advance,
Martin
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AndrewMay
New Contributor
Hi
I generally use a mixture of ADO and ArcObjects functions.  Which I choose depends on what I'm doing.  Certainly some things are a lot faster with ADO if you want to run SQL or stored procedures directly.  So for the exchange of data ADO might be the better option.

I haven't used DAO for years.  It's only positive is that it was optimised to connect to Access but how it compares performance wise with ADO these days I've got no idea.  What you might find though is that it's harder to get support/help for issues with DAO just because most people are using ADO these days.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos