Add-ins functionality

06-16-2011 08:35 AM
DavidKelly1
New Contributor
I was considering converting my vba code to an add-in but I just read you cannot write a custom renderer, a custom workspace or a custom feature using an add-in.  What exactly does that mean?  Most of my menu items perform custom processes and I build custom renderers on the fly.  So I will not be able to build the custom renderer part; I guess I am not sure what they mean by custom workspace and custom features. Anybody understand this or can point me to further documentation.

Thanks,

David Kelly
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
We have custom feature classes which I believe have to be written in C++.  I think that there are some ESRI samples on this.  We also have custom feature rendering as well.  In general, ESRI does not want people to do these type of things.  The problem is that they once did and we have alot of equity invested this design.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
You cant implement an interface in an add-in or specify a component category so any customization that requires those such as custom features or custom renders must be written as COM components.
0 Kudos
DavidKelly1
New Contributor
You cant implement an interface in an add-in or specify a component category so any customization that requires those such as custom features or custom renders must be written as COM components.

So if I want to read a table containing Lat/Long fields in an mdb file, create an XY event layer out of it in ArcMap, and display the points using categories where I specify the breakpoints, and the color of each class then I cannot use an add-in. Is that correct?

Thanks,

David Kelly
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
No, you should be fine.
All those functions will use interfaces and objects but you wont need to Implement an interface (keyword) to do so. This could be done through an add-in command button.
0 Kudos
DavidKelly1
New Contributor
No, you should be fine.
All those functions will use interfaces and objects but you wont need to Implement an interface (keyword) to do so. This could be done through an add-in command button.

Thank you Sean.  The application I want to convert is written completely in VBA; it sounds like I should be able to convert the whole thing to an add-in.

Thank you for your help.

David Kelly
0 Kudos