Add ArcGIS Reference - Why is Server Disabled?

07-19-2013 03:30 PM
PrestonMcCormick
New Contributor II
I'm working on a Windows 7 PC with ArcGIS 10.1, ArcGIS for Server 10.1, the ArcObjects SDK, and Visual Studio 2010 installed.  Everything is licensed. 

I am currently working on a WCF REST service that uses ArcObjects.  When I open the AddArcGIS Reference dialog, the Server section is disabled.  I don't know if there is anything I need in there, but I would like to add any assemblies it may contain so that I can look though them in the Object Browser.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26081[/ATTACH]

I've seen some screenshots in the help that show it active.  Under what circumstances is it active?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I don't have an answer for your specific question.

That said, you do not have to use "Add ArcGIS Reference" to add a reference.  What you can do is to simply browse to the location on the file system and pick the assembly.  Of course, you should only select assemblies which are included with server if that is your intention.  Once you add them then you should be able to browse them.

I use Visual Studio 2012 which is not yet supported by the ArcObject SDK installation.  That means that I don't have access to the various templates, snippets, etc. from within Visual Studio and yet I am able to create and build projects. 

I guess that you know that ArcGIS Server related code is strictly x64 in 10.1 so if you reference any of these assemblies then your project must be running in the context of a 64 bit process.
0 Kudos
PrestonMcCormick
New Contributor II
Thanks for your response Richard.

It is a good point that I can reference the assemblies through the standard Add References dialog.  I am just concerned that I may not have ArcGIS for Server and/or the ArcObjects SDK setup correctly.
0 Kudos