xy data entered ok but doesn't show on the map

Jump to solution
02-23-2021 04:39 AM
Labels (2)
NatashaLawson-Hale
New Contributor II

Please help! I am trying to map the data points for my dissertation. I have two Excel files one marked terrapins the other unseen (no terrapins) I have successfully managed to upload Terrapins and change it into a feature class. However, my second set of data will not work! It does not show up on the screen at all even when zooming to layer. I have ensured there are no spaces, names aren't too long, there are no special characters and the title and sheet title are not too long etc. I used the same coordinate system as I did for the other set (GCS_WGS_1984). Still nothing so I tried it in a different excel sheet, I have also tried it in a CSV. file as opposed to excel. I am working on desktop 10.6.1 ArcMap. Also, every time I enter the excel file into ArcGIS the original file locks to a read-only. I have checked that everything is included in the tables which it is and each column ID is under number and the rest general. I have changed it into a feature class and checked the geometry but that came back fine. I am out of ideas and can't find anything on the web, can anyone lend a hand? PP has all the screen shots, message if you need any more.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Sorry, I didn't notice this from the first picture.  Unfortunately you've got the Lat and Lon field headings mixed up in the actual CSV.  I switched the field names and the UK data shows fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Can you add the excel in, right-click and 'display x-y data' ensuring that the lat(y) and lon(x) are mapped to the right x and y?

CSV would be my first idea, but you say you've tried that.  The next steps would be ensuring all the fields are formatted correctly as either string or numbers and that the ssheet doesn't contain any weird formatting, scripts, macros etc.

If no joy, I would definitely select all your data, copy it into a brand ne workbook (save it as a excel 97 workbook) and retry.

If not, upload or send me the csv and i'll have a look.

0 Kudos
NatashaLawson-Hale
New Contributor II

Hi David, 

Thank you for responding so swiftly, I have tried both of the things you said, unfortunately nothing worked I had the xy and orientation correct and retried CSV however this didnt work. I did however change the coordinate system to the British national grid, which is what my data frame is set as, and this made a single data point appear in the sea just off of Cornwall. I changed the data frame to match and that just stretched everything. So I am assuming I have gotten something wrong with the coordinate system with this data set even though it worked with the other? I have included a CSV of the data set and screenshots of what I did. 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Sorry, I didn't notice this from the first picture.  Unfortunately you've got the Lat and Lon field headings mixed up in the actual CSV.  I switched the field names and the UK data shows fine.

0 Kudos
NatashaLawson-Hale
New Contributor II
Hi David,
Oh my god I am so silly! I knew it was something stupid like that, thank you so much. Must’ve been the headings from the other data set.
Thanks again,
Natasha