Wrong buffer generation in ArcMap 10.4

Jump to solution
08-23-2021 06:33 AM
GonzaloAntu
New Contributor

I have a polyline projected in WGS 1984 UTM Zone 21S.

Attached - ArcMap Polyline

Im trying to generate buffer of 15 meters with ArcMap 10.4 and in the tool of buffer I use the Full, Round and the method Planar. And with this particularly polyline, the results are:

Attached - Attached2

When I hope to be something like this:

Attached - Attached3

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The geometry is "sick" somewhere.  Split line at vertices and using a planar buffer reveals the fun pattern that results

2021-08-23_18-14-39.png

when you dissolve the buffers, you get

2021-08-23_18-17-37b.png

It is the dissolve process that fills in the gaps

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

is the polyline a featureclass in a file geodatabase and not in its current format?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GonzaloAntu
New Contributor

Hi Dan.

Thanks for your response. The polyline is in the format of shapefile, which I attached in this response.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Keep the method as Geodesic, since it preserves the shape.

Think Location
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I've tested this and Jayanta is correct, Geodesic does the trick, although I'm not entirely sure why Planar didn't.  @JayantaPoddar is this a funky geometry issue?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If I reproject the layer to GCS_WGS_1984, the buffer works fine with PLANAR method as well. This brings the following statement to my notice.

According to Buffer (Analysis), For PLANAR method

• If the input features have a projected coordinate system, Euclidean buffers will be created.
  • If the input features have a geographic coordinate system and you specify a Buffer Distance value in linear units (meters, feet, and so forth, as opposed to angular units such as degrees), geodesic buffers will be created.

Since the current layer is in Projected Coordinate System, I asked to use Geodesic method.

Think Location
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The geometry is "sick" somewhere.  Split line at vertices and using a planar buffer reveals the fun pattern that results

2021-08-23_18-14-39.png

when you dissolve the buffers, you get

2021-08-23_18-17-37b.png

It is the dissolve process that fills in the gaps

... sort of retired...