Will ArcMap 10.8.2 Support SQL Server 2022?

12-13-2023 09:23 AM
Labels (2)
mthompson
New Contributor III

We are still heavily using ArcMap 10.8.2 and probably will be for the foreseeable future as ArcGIS Pro seems to be lacking in many areas. On the Microsoft SQL Server Requirements page, SQL Server 2022 is not yet listed. I would like to know if it will be supported? We need to upgrade our Enterprise Geodatabase server and would prefer to have a newer version of SQL if possible.

4 Replies
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

ArcMap has already essentially been deprecated, currently in "Extended" support. According to the life cycle page, new environment certifications ended in February 2022. I'm not sure if new environment certifications extends to SQL Server compatibility, but I would not expect Esri to make ArcMap compatible with a newer version of SQL Server. It's possible ArcMap will "unofficially" support 2022 (in the sense that it might "work"), but it won't be officially supported.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/products/arcmap/life-cycle#:~:text=IMPORTANT%20NOTE%3A%20ArcGIS%2010.....

RandyKreuziger1
Occasional Contributor

FYI, I recently installed the ODBC 18 driver for SQL Server and that broke ArcMap's ability to connect to our SQL Server SDE databases.  Had to uninstall the driver to get it ArcMap working again.  ArcMap will never be able to work with ODBC 18 since ArcMap no longer gets updates.

RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

I'm just curious, where is ArcGIS Pro lacking for you?

mthompson
New Contributor III

We purchased beefier computers with graphics cards specifically for the inevitable switch to Pro but almost everything is slower than in ArcMap. Even basic editing of features has a loading wheel after every click. The maddening creation of extra folders and files when saving a project even when backups/indexing/etc. is turned off. Numerous other things that just don't seem to work or are missing such as auto-size text boxes for layouts or adding additional file types to catalog view.