Why do my point features from geocoding long/lat end up in the wrong place?

Jump to solution
08-25-2022 01:09 PM
Labels (2)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,

I have a set of addresses in a csv file for London, UK, I have used an online geocoder to get long/lat for these addresses.

I then added this csv file to ArcMap 10.7.1 successfully as a table.

I then used 'Display XY data' by right clicking on the table in the layers panel. When I do this I successful create point features for all these locations but they are clearly in the incorrect projected coordinate system as they are placed in the south Atlantic Ocean, rather than London, UK.

I have tried the 'Project' tool from my ArcToolbox to try and re-project in a different coordinate system  but continue to have the same issue. 

I am sure this has something to do with how I am inputting the longitude and latitude and it not being compatible with the coordinate system that I am putting this data into, but have been struggling all day with this. I'm quite new to this so would really appreciate any advice or help.

Many thanks

Katy

0 Kudos
12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for this @KenBuja this article is really helpful. I had read some other esri pages but hadn't found Projections 101, this is really helpful to get the basics set in my head.

I understand that Define projection tool is used when data doesn't have a coordinate system, and project tool is for changing the projection of a coordinate system - correct? It sounds like I can change the projection of my Map Frame without actually re- projecting each layer of data - is that correct? I'll have a little play around and see if I can find a way to reduce the squished look of my map! 

thank you once again for your help - greatly appreciated 

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, that's correct on both counts. You don't want to confuse the Define Projection tool with the Project tool.

Don't forget to click the "Accept as Solution" on all the answers that helped.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your help. I've also clicked 'accept solution' button too.

Have a great weekend

0 Kudos