What is the best way to create an editable map of parking spaces that can be modified year to year?

10-22-2020 12:30 PM
PeterTrentacoste
New Contributor

Hi All,

I work at a high school and I am trying to help out my administration manage our parking lot in a better way and I was hoping you could give me some advice. My goal is to create a map that shows all 500 or so parking spots that our school has and when an admin clicks on one, they can get information about the Student or Teacher that was assigned to that spot. I have begun working on creating polygons for each space but I was hoping you could give me some advice on the best way to map the spots and then more importantly, create the notes so that they can be easily updated every year as students graduate. How should I create the polygons and the data set to make this manageable for someone who knows nothing about GIS as my admin will have no clue. Thanks for any help or pointing to resources that you can provide. 

Peter

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think when you've digitized the polygons, assign each space a unique ID or code, then use a Relate to match the code against something like an excel spreadsheet which contains the attribution needed.

Then it would just be a case of updating the spreadsheet/csv with new students/staff attributes in each row.