Striped issue with fill pattern polygon symbology

05-09-2022 03:49 PM
Labels (1)
JonathanBarnsley
New Contributor II

Hi there,

I am having some issues with symbology for a polygon layer where the fill pattern has striped irregularities (see image). Recreating the layer has no impact, and it seems to be specific to the standard three dot fill pattern. I have cleared the feature cache. The only thing I have found that helps is if I pull the layer into another blank MXD. Besides recreating a new MDX, which I am trying to avoid, I am not sure what options I have.

Are there any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Thanks a bunch!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Cannot be much help in this. I never use picture fill. 

If you can find that symbol somewhere in the ESRI fonts I would suggest trying to use that as the fill. 

Now finding that symbol sounds intimidating.  And it is. There are LOTS of fonts. (75)

What I did many  years ago, and it took a little while to set up.

I created an Excel spreadsheet 

Column A I made Ariel and populated the values with 33 through 255

Column B is also Ariel but I populated it with =CHAR(A2) and dragged it all the way down to 255. then to make it more streamlined I copied and pasted that new data into Notepad then copy and past it back to each cell was   =char(number from column A)

For example cell B2 appears as   ! 

Then I dragged all the cells from column B all the way to column BW

The the arduous part was changing the font in each column to the ESRI font. I have that many because I also have NISC fonts

I then printed it out on 11 x 17 paper and keep it in my cabinet.  I have used this countless times to find a symbol I wanted

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Oh and I populated row 1 with the name of the font. that was fun

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

RobertBorchert_0-1652283775416.png

0 Kudos