Slow Performance with ArcMap 10.6.1

01-08-2019 04:58 PM
ReedGoodman
New Contributor

I'm new to ArcMap 10.6.1 and am experiencing extraordinarily slow performance and almost zero map refresh. When I first launch the program and add/explore data, I don't have an issue, but within minutes the program slows to a halt. If I add or move files, the map only updates if I move the directional arrows, and even then it's at a snail's pace. The refresh and pause buttons don't work at all. I thought it was a cache issue but trying to "clear cache" doesn't help (the cache won't even clear after I hit the button, or it only clears slightly), and I've also set geoprocessing never to save results. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the program with no luck, as the same problem is encountered. My hardware is more than sufficient. Can anyone advise?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does the following thread and fonts possibly have something to do with your slowness issues?  The thread has some trouble-shooting techniques such as seeing how many fonts are installed on your computer.

https://community.esri.com/message/826779-re-arcmap-1051-properties-slow?commentID=826779#comment-82... 

Also, do you see slowness irregardless of the data source (SDE, file gdb on network share, file gdb on c-drive, etc.)?

0 Kudos
RickBall
New Contributor

I, too, am having the same problems that a number of people are having. As a test, I have loaded Qgis and It is like lightning compare to the glacial slowness of ArcMap. Just starting the program takes minutes and then loading a project takes minutes, If a project has an aerial photo or a large dataset, every refresh takes many seconds. All these things are instantaneous in Qgis.  I'm seriously thinking about using Qgis as my GIS program.

Reading the "solutions" - there doesn't seem to be an easy one.

0 Kudos
SainiGurminder_Singh
New Contributor II

I am experiencing the same issue. Apart from operations, even firing up a new ArcMap session takes over 90 seconds time in 10.6.1 as compared to 10.4 approx. 10 seconds. Most operations take way long to finish and user has to wait a long.

Frustration grows when after a long wait we decide to force close the session, it takes minutes and minutes to close. And when you open another session things remains the same.

I guess added functionality to 10.6.1 caused s many interface/interconnected geo-processing issue, that need be addressed on priority.