Numeric attribute field displaying text label/alias values?

Jump to solution
03-03-2020 01:30 PM
RenoGregory
New Contributor II

Hello, I've been bashing my head against the wall trying to figure out what's going on here.

I have a feature in a geodatabase that has some sort of alias going on with the field values / labels. This data is the roads feature class in a Washington state transit geodatabase downloaded from USGS. There is no (useful) metadata listed for this field.

The field "TNMFRC" (Functional Road Classification) in the attribute table displays values like "Local Road," "Highway," or "Ramp."

However, the field is actually just a numeric field, with values of 1 through 8, and 99. How is arcmap translating the numerical filed value of "6" to "4WD" in my attribute table?

If I change the Label text in the Symbology tab, no change is reflected in the attribute table. (Ex: "Ferry Route" changed to "Ferry Route TEST" but attribute table still just says "Ferry Route"). Where is arcmap getting these settings from?

Interestingly, I've geoprocessed this data to where I only have a couple values remaining. Ex: Clipped to an area only containing "Local Road" and "Highway" features. Yet when I click "Add All Values" in the symbol tab, all nine unique values are added, even though most no longer exist in the data.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you look at the Fields tab of the Layer Properties dialog, you'll see that the field uses the coded value domain "FunctionalRoadClassification". You can explore the domain values in the properties dialog of the geodatabase in ArcCatalog. This is what "translates" the numeric value into a text string.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you look at the Fields tab of the Layer Properties dialog, you'll see that the field uses the coded value domain "FunctionalRoadClassification". You can explore the domain values in the properties dialog of the geodatabase in ArcCatalog. This is what "translates" the numeric value into a text string.

RenoGregory
New Contributor II

Thanks Ken. This is exactly what I was looking for.

0 Kudos