Select to view content in your preferred language

How to have new coordinates in Attribute table with Project in ArcToolbox

Jump to solution
08-01-2023 08:02 AM
FLPAR17
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to project coordinates from the geographic system NAD1983 MTM 9 to NAD1983 CSRS MTM 9. I have used Project in ArcToolbox and have succesfully projected my coordinates in NAD1983 CSRS MTM 9. 

However, I need to have access to the modified coordinates of my data in the attribute table. The table of the new projected layer in NAD1983 CSRS MTM 9 has stayed exactly the same as the one from the system NAD1983 MTM 9 (the x,y and z values stayed the same). 

So, i am wondering how i can create a new attribute table with the new x,y and z values in the projected system NAD1983 CSRS MTM 9 so i can use them later with Excel. 

Thank you for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

KenBuja is correct.

A little clarification, though. You can put anything you wish into an attribute table, including coordinate system x,y but the actual geometry is stored in the shapefile with no regard to the values in the attributes. So, if you reproject your data, nothing in the attribute table will change, as you have seen.

As an aside, there is a tool under Data Magement that will calculate and add the xy values in new columns in the attribute table, if that is more comfortable for you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Project tool will not recalculate your coordinate fields in your attribute table, but you can use the Calculate Geometry tool to do that. You can either use the existing fields to calculate the new coordinates or create new fields to hold them.

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

KenBuja is correct.

A little clarification, though. You can put anything you wish into an attribute table, including coordinate system x,y but the actual geometry is stored in the shapefile with no regard to the values in the attributes. So, if you reproject your data, nothing in the attribute table will change, as you have seen.

As an aside, there is a tool under Data Magement that will calculate and add the xy values in new columns in the attribute table, if that is more comfortable for you.