How can I export bookmarks from ArcGIS Pro to use as a bookmark file for ArcMap?

Jump to solution
07-06-2020 08:50 AM
SteveBrown1
New Contributor II

I want to take the bookmarks I have in ArcGIS Pro and export to use in an ArcMap mxd? I don't see an option to create such a file. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveBrown1
New Contributor II

Thanks. I am working at the process you shared about going into AGO. I'd just redo the bookmarks as you suggested except I have over 100 in this project. I'm trying to do this for someone who is working in ArcMap and not yet familiar with Arc Pro. When I did export into a webmap, the features exported fine, but I don't see the bookmarks in the webmap. Apparently it was because it was exported as a hosted feature map. So I redid it, exported as editable feature webmap and it worked. From AGO, I went to properties and followed the remaining instructions to open in ArcMap Desktop, it created a package file which I was able to open in ArcMap and there were the Bookmarks, as promised. Not I just need to export the bookmark file and ready to go. Not sure why Esri cannot make these processes more "backward" compatible friendly. It's just a file. For now, I'm content. Thanks.

Steve

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Steve Brown,

You can export your ArcGIS Pro bookmarks to a *.bkmx file: Manage bookmarks—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

But

the bookmark format of ArcGIS Pro is not backward compatible with ArcMap; ArcGIS Pro uses the .bkmx bookmark file format, while ArcMap uses the .dat bookmark file format. The bookmarks are modelled differently, and the properties are not the same.

Esri Technical Support provides an How To: Replicate bookmarks from ArcGIS Pro to ArcMap 

A workaround is to replicate bookmarks from ArcGIS Pro to ArcMap through ArcGIS Online with an organizational account.

Maybe it is just easier to set your bookmarks manually in ArcMap?

HTH,

Egge-Jan

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Bookmarks—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

you can import them

In the window that appears, browse to and select the bookmark file to import.

You can also import bookmark files (.dat file extension) from ArcGIS Desktop.

and you can export them to .bkmx

Manage bookmarks—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

So apparently not.... but why not compare the format of *.dat and *.bkmx

This is a *.bkmx.... I don't have ArcMap.  I did a big SNIP in the middle

{
  "type" : "CIMBookmarkDocument",
  "version" : "2.6.0",
  "build" : 24776,
  "spatialReference" : {
    "wkid" : 2146,
    "latestWkid" : 2951
  },
  "bookmarks" : [
    {
      "type" : "CIMBookmark",
      "name" : "test",
      "thumbnailImagePath" : "Qk02bAAAAAA
             ... HUGE SNIP ...
                             ////////////////Pz8",
      "camera" : {
        "type" : "CIMViewCamera",
        "pitch" : -90,
        "scale" : 289.19531752143416,
        "x" : 300018.13851199951,
        "y" : 5000017.5265992843,
        "z" : 97.054644200095083,
        "viewportHeight" : 64.273787866714486,
        "viewportWidth" : 77.97022599545484
      },
      "location" : {
        "xmin" : 299979.153399001807,
        "ymin" : 4999985.38970535062,
        "xmax" : 300057.123624997213,
        "ymax" : 5000049.6634932179,
        "spatialReference" : {
          "wkid" : 2146,
          "latestWkid" : 2951
        }
      },
      "timeRelation" : "esriTimeRelationOverlaps",
      "description" : "<DIV STYLE=\"text-align:Left;font-size:12pt\"><P><SPAN>test bookmark</SPAN></P></DIV>"
    }
  ]
}

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
SteveBrown1
New Contributor II

Thanks. I am working at the process you shared about going into AGO. I'd just redo the bookmarks as you suggested except I have over 100 in this project. I'm trying to do this for someone who is working in ArcMap and not yet familiar with Arc Pro. When I did export into a webmap, the features exported fine, but I don't see the bookmarks in the webmap. Apparently it was because it was exported as a hosted feature map. So I redid it, exported as editable feature webmap and it worked. From AGO, I went to properties and followed the remaining instructions to open in ArcMap Desktop, it created a package file which I was able to open in ArcMap and there were the Bookmarks, as promised. Not I just need to export the bookmark file and ready to go. Not sure why Esri cannot make these processes more "backward" compatible friendly. It's just a file. For now, I'm content. Thanks.

Steve