Georeferencing in ArcMap makes map crooked

01-29-2021 08:15 AM
Dan_Richert
New Contributor

In ArcMap I have georeferenced a map, and now the map and any new layers I add are crooked. It's a student project and we aren't allowed to use "Rotation" in data frame properties. It has something to do with inputting something from the original picture of the map. Does anyone know how to make the map straight?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Perhaps you could describe your workflow; when you say you have 'georeferenced a map' does that mean you have georeferenced an image and it's not aligned correctly?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
Dan_Richert
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Actually I'm realizing now that when I first added the image of the map to ArcMap it was crooked. I think maybe I didn't use a reference image to line up the tif image? 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

'Crooked' is all relative, right?  What is important to georeferencing an image is you choose your control points wisely.  I try to use a few as I can to get the image rectified.

0 Kudos
Dan_Richert
New Contributor

I was pretty accurate with the ground control points. I took a screen shot of the problem. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Without any context, I can't really comment.  Are expecting the image to be aligned with the map frame?  What type of spatial reference are you using? Does the image already have a world file with it?  

0 Kudos
Dan_Richert
New Contributor

Yeah it's suppose to align with the map frame. The spatial reference is set properly. I think I  will have to play around with it for a bit and see. Thanks anyways 🙂

0 Kudos