Coordinate Systems - Geographic and CRS?

07-02-2021 01:14 PM
Labels (1)
nschwall
New Contributor

Hello. I am taking a file I geocoded in ArcMap into Rstudio for work. I need the CRS from ArcMap to tell Rstudio what it is, because it isn't coming up with the file. I tried following this, but I'm still absolutely lost. A few questions:

1. If the information has an X and Y, is that constant regardless of what projection I use? Or does that change based on projection? (e.g., can I just use any projection if the X&Y are there). 

2. The guide under the link says: "If the coordinates, which are shown in the Extent box, are in decimal degrees, such as between longitude -180 and +180 and latitude -90 and +90, you need to identify the geographic coordinate system (datum) used for the data (such as North American Datum (NAD) 1927 or NAD 1983)." - That is my case, the coordinates are in decimal. But I don't understand what this is telling me to do, how do I identify the coordinate system from this point? 

Can I find the CRS from the address locator I used to geocode the points?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Did the geocoding return a shapefile/feature class, or just give you a table of x/y? Which geocoding service did you use?

0 Kudos
nschwall
New Contributor

I geocoded added an Address Locator Manager that I acquired from my university and used that to geocode

0 Kudos