compress operation stuck

07-16-2019 01:32 AM
KimRip
by
New Contributor

Using ArcMap 10.6.1 with versioning and replication on a SQL Server 2016 (14.0.1000.169) between several devices. 

I do a daily scheduled reconcile, post, reconcile and compress.

Everything was running fine until suddenly yesterday morning users reported ArcMap crashing as soon as they save during editing.

I tried running a new reconcile, post,reconcile compress to check if perhaps a large number of bulk updates had been made on some version or on default that were causing this. But the compress operation has been stuck for 24hours on 'delete leaf states', while it usually only takes 2 minutes. Our workflow is to never let anyone make edits to the default version or do any bulk updates in their version, but I can't completely rule out that this has happened.

Any ideas on the crashing of ArcMap during saving or the very slow compress? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

You can kill the Compress operation and try again...

Geodatabase compression—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Compression can be stopped while it is executing because the operation is designed to be transactionally consistent. Therefore, if the operation encounters an error, fails, or abruptly stops, the versioned tables being compressed are still logically correct with respect to any version's representation. One reason you might stop compression is if you run it while users are connected to the geodatabase, then discover the compression is consuming a large amount of system resources. In that case, you might want to stop the operation and run it again when fewer or no users are connected to the geodatabase.