Combining attribute tables based on location

11-15-2020 04:53 PM
Labels (1)
jozecki
New Contributor

Hi everyone!

Hopefully this is an easy question, I am just struggling to figure it out despite my reading.

I have two data sets containing polygons. They polygons represent the same thing, but the data is from two different dates. As such, the polygons are in the same location, they've just changed in size/shape.

The first data set has each polygon labelled (e.g. A, B, C...) and the second data set has each polygon labelled a different way (e.g. 1, 2, 3). I want to combine these attribute tables to see that Polygon A is the same as Polygon 1, etc.

Whats the best way of doing this?

I've tried the join function which ends up only shows one data set, and the merge function shows one data set and <null> for the other in the resulting attribute table.

Thanks in advance!

Polygons:
jozecki_0-1605487930507.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Hello,

I think you might want to do a join the old layer to the new layer based on some unique attribute (not objectid).

You can then export that layer to a new feature class and drop any duplicate/unwanted attributes.

Mark

Regards,
Mark
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If the polygons overlap (but not with each other), you can join most of them using the Join By Location tool (one to one).  This will not work perfectly if the polygons do not overlap or overlap with each other.

0 Kudos