Cannot import excel (xmls) into ArcMap 10.7.1

Jump to solution
01-16-2020 10:03 AM
ShannonEhlers
New Contributor

Cannot import excel (xmls) into ArcMap 10.7.1, even after installing the Microsoft Access database engine 2016 driver. I followed online instructions from esri about how ArcMap uses excel files and nothing worked. Table to excel also does not work because of a space in our server name (thus not a viable option). In the previous ArcMap versions this was not an issue and honestly it should not be a problem just because there is a more recent version of ArcMap. I really do not want to have to convert all of the excel files to csv files just so I can display the x,y coordinates. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShannonEhlers
New Contributor

I finally received the solution via ESRI Customer Care. It has to do with the type of Access driver I downloaded. As most of my Microsoft office products run on 64-bit driver it gave me an error when I tried to install the 32-bit and thus I went with the 64-bit. However, ArcGIS 10.7.1 is a 32-bit application. Once I uninstalled the original 64-bit driver and silently installed the 32-bit driver, I can now import excel(.xlsx, & .xls) into ArcMap with no problems. Also thus far I have no issues with my other office products. My support liaison directed me to the below website for instructions on how to silently install the 32-bit Microsoft Access database engine driver. 

He also mentioned that ArcGIS Pro is a 64-bit application so it plays better with Microsoft Office. 

Thanks.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

.xlsx ? I presume?

Did you try to isolate the issue by copying the excel file to a local folder then try table to excel?

ShannonEhlers
New Contributor

I finally received the solution via ESRI Customer Care. It has to do with the type of Access driver I downloaded. As most of my Microsoft office products run on 64-bit driver it gave me an error when I tried to install the 32-bit and thus I went with the 64-bit. However, ArcGIS 10.7.1 is a 32-bit application. Once I uninstalled the original 64-bit driver and silently installed the 32-bit driver, I can now import excel(.xlsx, & .xls) into ArcMap with no problems. Also thus far I have no issues with my other office products. My support liaison directed me to the below website for instructions on how to silently install the 32-bit Microsoft Access database engine driver. 

He also mentioned that ArcGIS Pro is a 64-bit application so it plays better with Microsoft Office. 

Thanks.