Cannot Create A New Feature Class Within A Feature Dataset

11-14-2022 10:47 AM
Labels (2)
tylerjm
New Contributor

Hey everyone, I am currently working in ArcMap 10.8.1 on desktop. I have a geodatabase that has 3 feature datasets within it. Just recently I have not been able to edit or add feature classes to one of the feature datasets. I am able to use the other two feature datasets and can add feature classes to them. In ArcMap I pull up Catalog, route to where my geodatabase is, then go to my feature dataset>Right click>New..> and Feature Class is not colored and won't let me add a new feature class.

I provided screenshots of the issue. I do not have the geodatabase or feature dataset working in any other mxd file. I am at a loss, any ideas? Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Most likely cause is someone else has geodatabase open. ArcMap sometimes hold locks even after it closes. For something simple like this use the catalog tree in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

The error message in your screen shot says you can't add anything if you have a basic license. Have you updated ArcMap recently and its defaulted back to basic license for some reason? Is it a new installation on a new PC and whoever did that gave you a basic license?  Are these geodatabases provided to you and they have stuck something in the feature dataset that is incompatible with your license level? Finally after making a backup of the geodatabase, try running compact tool on it, this may resolve the issue identified by @Anonymous User.