Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot add any of our AGOL locators via ArcMap Address Locator Manager

09-05-2023 01:00 AM
JulieEdwards
New Contributor II

I wonder if anybody else is falling foul of this ? We are currently using ArcMap 10.8.2, and wish to trial both our existing locators (-built via the LocatorHub Desktop product), and a number of third-party locators such as What3Words and the UK OS Places API lookup. We have added all of those to our ArcGIS Online, via the Organization > Settings > Utility Services > Geocoding option, and find that we have no issue using any of them from maps and apps. However, we are struggling to add them to ArcMap, and encounter a number of issues, despite signing in to our ArcGIS Online environment. The first issue involves the 4 Locatorhub-built items, which appear under a Geocoding entry in online folder Ready-to-use Services (-see attached). Selection of these has often (-although not always) triggered the error dialog "Could not add specified data object to the map. A locator with this name does not exist. The locator service may have been stopped on the server ".

The second has affected the non-Locatorhub third-party services such as What3Words, which appear under separate Geocoding entries under the same Ready-to-use Services folder, and which give on selection: "The Address Locator is damaged. Would you like to repair it ? Internal Server Error. (Status Code 500)". That message is particularly confusing, as it seems to be associated with a known and documented ESRI issue with older locators loaded via a DefaultLocators.xml file, and the need to remove the deprecated "Military Grid Reference System" locator, which has nothing to do with what I am trying to add.

It is unclear whether we are seeing the full picture via our AGOL account: but these 6 show when we try to load, and they are the items that exist in the Geocoding section of Organization as per above, so I think we are making a valid connection to AGOL; but as I say, the selections then cause one or other of those errors. I might add that the ArcGIS World geocoding service, which I added to ArcMap this morning, works perfectly for single-location lookup. 

What I am trying would appear to be the documented approach for adding new locators, and yet it isn't working outside of the ArcGIS World item.

Can anyone shed any light on this ? Or is it simply that the ArcMap locator process is now deprecated in the run-up to full ArcGIS Pro adoption ? Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies