CALCULATING DISTANCE

Jump to solution
07-12-2019 04:46 AM
EMMANUELJOLAIYA
New Contributor II

Hi guyz,I have a task at hand which is to calculate the distance between local governments in a state and the state capital.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RachelSears
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Emmanuel,

Without knowing which client (ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, etc) or version you are using, it is harder to know how to help you. The two easiest ways to perform your workflow are:

1. Use the Measure tool to individually measure distance between points, or:

2. Create a point layer with the state capital as the only point, and another point layer with the local governments as points, and use the Point Distance tool to generate a table with the distances.

Point Distance

Measure Tool

Hope this helps!

- Rachel

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RachelSears

Hi Emmanuel,

Without knowing which client (ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, etc) or version you are using, it is harder to know how to help you. The two easiest ways to perform your workflow are:

1. Use the Measure tool to individually measure distance between points, or:

2. Create a point layer with the state capital as the only point, and another point layer with the local governments as points, and use the Point Distance tool to generate a table with the distances.

Point Distance

Measure Tool

Hope this helps!

- Rachel

EMMANUELJOLAIYA
New Contributor II

Thank you very much Rachel!

I forgot to mention that I have tried the above method--PointDistance ,but the values in the distance field in the attribute table seems fluffy.

What do you think the problem is?

0 Kudos
RachelSears

Hi Emmanuel,

The output values in the distance field will always be in the same units as the coordinate system of the input feature. So, if you are using a coordinate system with decimal degrees, the Point Distance tool will generate an output of distances in decimal degrees, which might be why the values look odd to you. You may want to try projecting your data using a local projected coordinate system that is measured in linear units such as feet or meters, like NAD 1983 State Plane (if you are looking at U.S. data).

- Rachel

EMMANUELJOLAIYA
New Contributor II

Thank you,

I will do just that.

0 Kudos