attribute table

04-20-2021 01:03 PM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

When in some of my .mxds the attribute table is greyed out but in others it works fine?

See attachment

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You'll probably need to give some more information about the issue so that others can better understand and address it.

• What version of ArcMap are you using?
  • Is it happening to all layers in an MXD, or just certain ones?
    • If just certain ones, where are those layers coming from?
    • If all layers, do the same layers work in other MXDs?
- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Sorry for not providing more info.

I'm running ArcMap 10.7. If I bring a feature into one of my current maps, I can view the attribute table but when I try opening a new .mxd and I bring a layer in, the features are there but the attribute table is greyed out like in the attachment in my other post

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If this is a recent event... like you just upgraded to 10.7 ... then you might have a bad install.

Also, are the data locally stored on your computer or off in web or server land?

You can try through windows.

Add/Remove Programs,,, select Remove, then Repair.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes this just started happening like a couple weeks ago and no I didn't just install ArcMap 10.7. It has been installed on my computer for almost 2 years now.

I don't understand why the attribute table would work fine in an existing .mxd but be grayed out in a new .mxd.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

no clue yet... that is what we are trying to narrow down.

So locally stored? web/server source?

Any other changes to your computer?  Install anything?

Try the repair first.   There are more drastic measures that can be taken as well. like renaming your application profile etc etc, 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

the data is stored on a server which is hosted locally not a web service. I tried both shapefiles and feature class features and same results for both.

Note: This only happens in new ArcMap documents not existing ones I already have layers in. I also have ArcGIS Pro installed and the attribute table work fine there.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well Tech Support or the repair I suggested.

... sort of retired...