Asking for help regarding using a buffer tool

08-06-2022 07:10 PM
Labels (2)
JeeYoungKim
New Contributor

Hello, I am Jee from Korea. I am a beginner in learning ArcGIS. I've been learning ArcGIS for the last two weeks from a course called Fundamentals of GIS provided by Coursera. I am writing to ask for help regarding using buffer tool. I am using ArcMap 10.8.2 and this is part of an assignment to pass this course. I attached the ArcMap file and PDF file (page 29 and 30) for your convenience. The problem is that the buffer tool does not work at all. I did exactly what the instruction (page 30) says but nothing has changed.

When I try to close the ArcMap programme, the warning message pops up saying that the map document has executing or pending geoprocessing operations. I attached the message below. I wonder if the RAM capacity of my notebook, which is 4GB, might have caused these problems. 

Is there anyone who would help me with this? Thank you so much!

JeeYoungKim_0-1659838030921.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelPirker
New Contributor

Couldn't open your files man

0 Kudos
JeeYoungKim
New Contributor

Hi, thanks for your reply. I uploaded my files again. Hope you can open them this time!

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

How long did you wait after starting buffer tool before closing ArcMap?

Do you know if background geoprocessing is enabled on that machine?

Do you have access to another computer with more RAM to try this operation on?

JeeYoungKim
New Contributor

Hi, many thanks for your reply. I waited for hours before closing ArcMap. I've tried a lot of times, but nothing has changed. Could you explain how to check if background geoprocessing is enabled on my notebook? Unfortunately this is the best notebook that I can find in my house. Do you think my 4GB RAM affected this situation?  Thanks!

0 Kudos