ArcView 3.2 in Windows 10: symbols not displaying

12-30-2020 01:51 PM
JacobMargolis
New Contributor II

I've been using 3.2 for 20 years (along with newer ESRI and other GIS software) because there's some functionality and familiarity I like.  I've used it on different versions of Windows - XP, 7, etc. on at least 3 computers.  My new Windows 10 laptop, however, is not recognizing the legend symbols properly, and displays them as letters and other keyboard symbols instead of the dots, squares, etc in the 3.2 symbol library.  Does anyone know of a solution to this?  Thanks    

9 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I like your style! ArcView 3.2 is based on a very old (long unsupported, company is long gone) runtime environment ("Neuron Data") c. 1998 so you may be out of luck. Though, before you give up I would try running ArcView in compatibility mode.

Or, it may be a matter of installing some fonts that are on your old machine that aren't on the new one.

Here's a post on Stack Exchange that does mention the fonts that may be needed to be installed.

JacobMargolis
New Contributor II

Thank you; I will look at your suggestions/links.

0 Kudos
JacobMargolis
New Contributor II

Turns out that I hadn't copied the ESRI fonts from the Windows/Fonts directory to my new machine.  I don't remember having to do that before when migrating to a new Windows system, but I did it now and the symbology is ok.  There's still an issue with the text size in the legend window, but that's not a big deal.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I like that style too!  I'm surprised ArcView even runs on a 64 bit os.

That should just about do it....
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Cool! Nostalgia day! probably a unicode thing (wasn't a real issue in the day)

... sort of retired...
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nostalgia Day

arcinfo.jpg

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Looks like there might still be some reference material for ArcView GIS at UI....

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

ArcView 3.x,

when a Link was a Link

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You need to install the fonts being used onto your new computer. 

0 Kudos