ArcMap not finding files in ArcCatalog

08-10-2018 11:31 AM
MichaelQuinlan
New Contributor

Hello All,

When I go to "Add Data" within ArcMap, ArcMap is not finding the .csv/.exls/.txt files that are within ArcCatalog. I have added these file types under the Catalog options and the files are visible within ArcCatalog but not ArcMap. In fact, my co-workers have added the very same csv file to the very same map that I was trying to "add data" to. ArcMap won't see these file types that are in ArcCatalog.

Please note in the screen shot that the files are visible in ArcCatalog, but not ArcMap in the "Add Data" window.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlanaBaker3
Esri Contributor

The symbol next to the csv files doesn't look right, what version of ArcMap is it?  Are you able to drag the files into ArcMap?

0 Kudos
MichaelQuinlan
New Contributor

Hi Alana, This is 10.6. Inside the ArcCatalog options, when I add a file extension. I get a warning "extension in use" My coworkers see the icons normally.

0 Kudos
AlanaBaker3
Esri Contributor

Have you tried creating a .csv file with just a few test points to see if it can read that?

Is the data on a shared drive?  Are you all trying to access it at once?

0 Kudos
MichaelQuinlan
New Contributor

Hello, all of the data is on a share drive and we're accessing it all through citrix. I have uploaded several different data sets and types to the share drive to make sure the issue is not with a single file. Myself and coworkers can all see the files in arc catalog. however my co-workers can SEE the data in ArcMap, I cannot. we are not trying to access the data at the same time.

When I try to drag the file from arccatalog to arcmap I get the error "Could not open the specified file"

0 Kudos