ArcGIS desktop 10.5.1

05-12-2018 10:01 PM
Chung_ChengLiu
New Contributor

I have been using ArcGIS since this March, but one time while trying to open ArcMap it showed me the error message, "The ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced license is in need of a repair operation. Please access the ArcGIS Administrator to repair your licenses." I know some people have the same issue and I have seen some posts about how to fix the problem, using repair in control panel as mentioned by Dan. But it doesn't work in my case. I am using one-year educational trial, single use, which expires next March. Another problem I have is that I am out of state for four months and don't have my authorization serial number with me! So I am wondering if there is any way that I can fix the issue without re-authorize ArcGIS.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you are with an educational organization, I would suggest you contact the person managing the licenses at your organization to see if they can fix it.  It that is not possible or the case, then you have no other option but to contact tech support.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I agree with Dan that this might require contacting your educational institute or tech support direct. (Edit: thought you were “out of country” but re-read it and just “out-of-state”, so deleted my note on that.)  If you don’t have an internet connection, there are ways to authorize offline

How To: Authorize ArcGIS Desktop 10.x Single Use offline 

Im not at a computer to check, but if it was authorized and working on this machine (which it sounds like it was) you may be able to find the authorization code in \program files\arcgis\license\bin. Or in your username\appdata\<local or roaming? >\arcgis ...  etc.  Again, not near my machine so trying from memory.  Some of the folders/files may be hidden by your system by default, so may need to work with settings.

but all that also assumes that there isn’t some other issue that is causing the issue.  I have never encountered that error myself....but also have never used an educational license, so by no means an expert.

0 Kudos