ArcGIS 10.6.1 Data Export to CAD (DWG 2018 Format) Triggers Autodesk Educational Watermark

09-27-2018 03:41 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is anyone else having this issue?  I recently installed ArcGIS 10.6.1.  I typically export data to CAD DWG format for others in my company.  Right clicking on the shapefile/feature class selecting DATA and then Export to CAD pulls up the dialog box.  The new 10.6.1 default output type is DWG_R2018.  I successfully exported the DWG and sent it to the CAD expert.  When opening up in Autocad / Civil 3D 2019 it triggers the recently reintroduced Autodesk Educational / Student Plot Stamp or watermark as some refer to it.  In reading recent blog posts from Autodesk, this has been a known issue for CAD when importing 3rd party software DWG exports (e.g. ArcGIS).  Exporting the same data file from ArcGIS Pro does NOT cause the issue. I will test using export to cad via the ArcToolbox but expect the same issue when using ArcGIS Desktop. Of course, the work around solution is to export using ArcGIS 10.6.1 to CAD R2013 DWG format, which works and does not cause a watermark.  Unfortunately, the CAD expert mentioned that since importing the DWG exported from ArcGIS 10.6.1, he is experiencing toolbars being randomly moved and other issues.  I will learn more about his CAD software issues and post follow up information.

Has anyone else had this issue?  I am concerned that we will start to receive data from clients that will continue to trigger these student plot stamps / water marks in our CAD base files.  This appears to be an Autodesk issue but at present the only solution to prevent these watermarks is to NOT use the ArcGIS 10.6.1 default R2018 DWG format when using the export to CAD tool.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RTPL_AU
Occasional Contributor

brian.king_FNI Yep - just discovered it. I usually go for early versions in exports to ensure compatibility in the supply chain but had to check latest version stuff today.

I wonder how many people are losing some respectability due to this. If you don't have AutoCAD access yourself how would you know? Some clients will receive the file, open it and make a little mark in a book to review next time a contract goes out.

0 Kudos
AnthonyStiff
New Contributor II

yep - just had it happen to me - I have AutoCAD LT 2019 and my CAD dwg from ArcGIS 10.6.1 came up as a student version... It basically renders the Dwg as useless - I cant send that out to clients!

0 Kudos
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a good solution to this? I have desktop 10.6.1 and have several model builder scripts that export GIS to CAD. All of my CAD drawings exported from GIS now open up as "Student Version".  No good for our engineering staff or contractors who need them. 

0 Kudos