ArcDesktop crashes when trying to add a database connection

Jump to solution
10-10-2017 11:29 AM
DavidBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

Using ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1.  A user reported that both ArcMap and ArcCatalog crash when double clicking add database connection.  I saw it crash, and then logged in with two different users with no problems.  I ran a repair just to be sure with no success resolving the users issue.  I am pretty sure it is a user profile issue.  Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBuehler

The reset of the ArcGIS profile in combination was part of the issue, and worked temporarily.  I also did a repair of the ArcDesktop installation with a restart of the computer because it did bleed over into the other profiles and work temporarily with the new profile, and it is working now and have not had any issues since.  Thanks Rebecca for the information.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidBuehler

I should add this is a Windows 10 computer.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Easiest way to reset the user profile is to rename the normal.mxt etc so it will create a new one.Check out that and other options in  https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2121?sr=search&searchId=21963536-ad62-41cc-ab95-a6f9afc254ce&sea...

DavidBuehler

The reset of the ArcGIS profile in combination was part of the issue, and worked temporarily.  I also did a repair of the ArcDesktop installation with a restart of the computer because it did bleed over into the other profiles and work temporarily with the new profile, and it is working now and have not had any issues since.  Thanks Rebecca for the information.

FrancescaGonzalez
New Contributor III

Try a clean uninstall

Uninstall in clean:
Uninstall ArcGIS for Desktop from the control panel and everything associated with ESRI. (Patches, additional extensions, etc. if you had them).
After completing this process, delete the following folders manually:
C: \ Program Files \ (Delete any existing ESRI or ArcGIS folder)
C: \ Program Files (x86) \ (Delete any existing ESRI or ArcGIS folder)
C: \ Users \ <USER NAME> \ AppData \ Roaming \ (Delete any existing ESRI or ArcGIS folder
Libraries \ Documents (Delete any existing ESRI or ArcGIS folder)
C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Common Files (Delete any existing ESRI or ArcGIS folder)
Reinstatement:
Deleting directories from ESRI or ArcGIS, Restart your PC.
Go back to installing ArcGIS 10.x again in a normal way (LICENSE READ IT AUTOMATICALLY AFTER THE INSTALLATION HAS COMPLETED).
Then reboot your PC again
Then start ArcMap and try to use your software normally and replicate the error

Regards

Fran

DavidBuehler

General Update - More Windows 10 users were affected. Similar symptoms mostly related to database connections.  A mild symptom is the database connections missing.  Remedy - restore database connections.  More extreme is trying to make a database connection and crashing.  The most extreme is the ArcMap not opening an .mxd.  With the last two extremes a repair worked.  I am pretty sure it is linked to some update pushed out for Windows 10, as it only affected those users with Windows 10 in my organization.   No idea which one, as our IT staff pushes them out in bulk every month.

0 Kudos