Workforce for arcgis questions

Jump to solution
07-11-2016 05:07 AM
AliBarakat
Occasional Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I have the following questions for the workforce:

1. is it possible to change the app design? change logo, icon, title, color, etc...
  2. is it possible to change the fields in this screenshot? i tried changing the fields in the feature layer, i removed one and added other fields, but it didnt work.workforce.PNG
  3. is it possible to remove the navigator app from the available apps? and maybe add another app?
  4. is it possible w add the assignments from another feature class instead of adding them one by one from the browser?

And if there is a tech support that i can contact please let me know.

Thank you in advance

24 Replies
AliBarakat
Occasional Contributor II

Dear Craig,

here's a small scenario where we might need both collector and survey123 in one project.

let's say we want to use the collector for arcgis to add some buildings/houses/camps etc...

so the worker will go to a certain location and draw the boundaries of this building or add a point if it is a point feature, then he will fill the required data inside.

then, in another assignment, we want another worker to go to this building and collect data regarding the families inside and each family member should do his own survey.

this is a very quick and small scenario that came to my mind.

Regards,

Ali

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Ali, thank you for providing your use case for using Collector and Survey123 in the same project; I've added it to our  issue tracking this enhancement for Workforce

0 Kudos
GlenColgate1
Occasional Contributor

Craig,

You've heard of at least one use case where a single Workforce Project uses both Collector and Survey123. At least we are trying to...

Our use case is probably very common (at least we think it is). Our Inspection group is recording asbuilt facility attributes along with various information related to construction progress. Initially we are focused on the more common field observations that will be form based data entry in Survey123, but after that we are going to expand our capabilities to enter facility attributes along with spatial edits in Collector.

We also think that these links should based on the assignment type (NOT THE PROJECT). Seriously, there has got to be more than 2 of us that brought up this kind of scenario. I sent you a PM to expand upon our use case, but here's a short version for those reading this post... If a worker gets a Concrete Inspection Assignment in Workforce, we would like the worker to open a Concrete Inspection survey in Survey123. If they get a Certificate of Occupancy Approval assignment in Workforce, they should open the Certificate of Occupancy survey in Survey123. Yada, yada, yada...

Thanks,

Glen

Christopher_L_Rogers
New Contributor III

Glen,

The workflow example you and ALi have both provided makes a lot of sense and I am just about to embark on a similar task where our Officers play various roles but will utilize the same Workforce Project for tracking though may have different types of assignments that need specific forms based on the assignment type.

For example, an Officer receives a call for service (assignment) to remove debris out of the Interstate and upon arrival has a specific Survey123 form that collects data about the road debris type (semi-truck tire), location (geopoint), possibly where it came from (say the tractor tailor and driver are still at the scene company name, drivers license, etc...), and possibly damage or injuries arising from this road debris, pictures of the debris and/or damage, and final Officer notes perhaps.

The the same Officer is dispatched to a motorist assist who has a mechanical malfunction or run out of fuel using a Survey123 form to collect important details including amount of gas that was provided for financial accountability, driver info, vehicle info, etc...

As Ali described this would tie an Assignment type to the method of data collection in these two examples it would be one of potentially many available Survey123 forms HOWEVER; as I think through this process I realized that the Officer is free to choose the correct Survey123 from those available to him/her and that could work equally as well unless I want to specifically prescribe which Suvery123 form will open based on the Assignment type then we're back to begin to define a specific workflow to ensure there's no chance of an Officer using the wrong Survey to collect the data in the field.

Often times this seems like a simple thing, why wouldn't the Officer know which Survey to use but to be honest they usually have a lot more on their mind than selecting the proper Survey123 form each and every assignment and when new assignment types are added and can be tied to a specific Suvery123 form, there's no training required to make sure they use the correct form for the correct assingment and if the Survey123 (Collect, GeoForms, etc..) are developed in an intuitive manner there may be little training required there as well.

I understand the necessity to try and keep things simple and expand/enhance by also passing some of the responsibility to the users but when we can take stesp and decisions out of a process we find that adoption and usage increase dramatically.

We'd also like to be able to use our own Status lists too rather then Online, Break Offline, Offline (Android) or Working, On Break, Not Working (iOS) to provide our Dispatchers better filtering and quick visibility into what each Officer on screen is currently doing... three Status Options are not sufficient enough for us... workable but we're looking into expanded options.

Sincere Regards,

Chris Rogers

Traffic Enforcement Planner

OKDPS

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Chris, thanks for providing the use case; it's similar to what we discussed during our meeting at the UC and I've made sure to capture it in our issue to track this enhancement.

Craig

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Glen, we always really appreciate the feedback from your group, thank you for taking the time to outline it here and in the email.  I've added it to the issue that we're using to track the enhancement.  You are correct, you're not the only group who is asking for this capability and it's one we'd like to add in an upcoming release.  Supporting the multiple inspection workflow, specifically for building inspections, is one of the main use cases.  As we define what release we'll target this work for, we'll keep you updated on it.

thanks,

Craig

GlenColgate1
Occasional Contributor

Craig,

Likewise, we really appreciate the care and concern you have shown when receiving our suggestions. For our own experience I know its hard, but try not to misread our constructive criticism as a negative. We are really quite happy with how the product is progressing.

For those that haven't seen Ishmael's blog post on using the custom url-scheme, we have been somewhat successful in building our own link in the description field of the workforce assignment. This allows us to navigate directly from the assignment to its related inspection form. Its not exactly "pretty" but can be a helpful band-aid until the action button is improved.

Thanks,

Glen

RossFindlay
New Contributor III

Hi Glenn: I would be interested to learn how you achieved this. I am interested triggering Explorer for ArcGIS from the description field, but haven't been able to replicate your results. Hope you can provide some guidance.

0 Kudos
GlenColgate1
Occasional Contributor

Ross Findlay‌ because the description field recognizes rich text on the mobile app any properly formatted URL string should be automatically recognized as a popup link. For instance an Explorer for ArcGIS link should look like the followng:

arcgis-explorer://?itemID=2adf08a4a1a84834a773805a6e86f69e&center=43.656789,-70.278083

The itemID is the ID for the map you wish to open and center is the location within the map to view. There is more documentation on this here: GitHub - Esri/explorer-integration: Multi Language repository that contains documentation and sample... 

If you still have issues maybe post your URL string and we can take a look at why its not playing nicely.

Glad to help if you need more.

Glen

RossFindlay
New Contributor III

Glen. Thanks for your reply. My issue seems to be in getting the URL to be recognized in the description field. I copied your test URL as a dispatcher into the description field, but it doesn't seem to recognize it as a URL. Any thoughts? I tried adding href= , but the edit wouldn't validate.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos