Problem with automatic notifications (they take time to reach the mobile)

Jump to solution
12-21-2020 11:01 AM
RodrigoLama
Occasional Contributor

Hello GIS friends. I am having trouble getting my field workers to receive notifications in real time.

I do not know what configuration I should touch to speed up the search for new tasks on the devices, all my users are android and the notifications take up to an hour to appear on the device.
I have activated in the app the option that says automatic synchronization. But it is useless.

There is some solution for this big problem. Since it is useless if this continues to work like this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

At this time, it's not configurable - we will have some internal discussions on this after the holidays. If you make a change to an assignment on the device, that will trigger a sync within 1 minute of the change. You could also do a manual sync in the app.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RodrigoLama 

Currently Workforce syncs every 15 minutes while in the foreground. It does not sync in the background. Some more details are available here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/workforce/faqs/faqs-general.htm#anchor16

How frequently would you need a sync to occur? Would a way to configure it be every 5 minutes work?

Do you need to receive updates while the app is back-grounded?

0 Kudos
RodrigoLama
Occasional Contributor

Hello again :). query regarding this answer. It is then possible to configure the synchronization every 5 minutes and what it looks for in the background? It serves me for demonstration.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

At this time, it's not configurable - we will have some internal discussions on this after the holidays. If you make a change to an assignment on the device, that will trigger a sync within 1 minute of the change. You could also do a manual sync in the app.

0 Kudos
RodrigoLama
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for answering.

In real time it would be optimal, because we need it to send resources to the field in emergency situations (fire calls for example), where 5 or 15 minutes of delay can make a difference.
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. I remember last year creating demos that worked instantly.

So you would not have any possibility to configure this time according to need?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That makes a lot of sense. Yes, in the older version of Workforce where offline was not supported, the app polled for new assignments at a higher frequency. Since the app now needs to sync which is a heavier operation we chose to decrease the frequency when checking for new assignments.

That said, we can discuss and potentially make the sync frequency configurable. However, in order to really support the near real-time delivery, Workforce would need to support push notifications when an assignment is assigned to a worker. This is on the roadmap and may be something that is tackled in 2021.

RodrigoLama
Occasional Contributor

What a pity that there is so much missing, considering that I had my client ready to offer the service. I will have to give explanations to the case.

Thank you very much for answering and clarifying the doubts. Now in the heat of fire season I will have to evaluate options to take.
Grateful.

0 Kudos
JPowell
New Contributor II

What is the status of this implementation for real time assignment notification in the new Workforce? This is a critical feature for users that we work with. 

aspen01
New Contributor II

Yes please we really need this implemented! 

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

We're planning to start the work to support Background sync in Q1 of this year and have a release available before the the User Conference with that ability.

Craig

0 Kudos