Select to view content in your preferred language

Can you create different symbols to visualize employee locations (using Workforce)?

03-27-2017 03:13 PM
DevraSchwartz
Emerging Contributor

Using Workforce, we are trying to visualize employees (locations) using different symbols that show the industry/field they represent? I tried creating different assignments, but they still all show up as little green people on the map. Anyone find a workaround using Workforce or utilize a different tool altogether?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Devra, thanks for your question.

I'd like to make sure I understand your question, please let me know if this summary is correct.  You would like to change the symbology used for the Workers layer to symbolize based on an attribute other than Status, is that correct?  Do you want this symbology to be reflected in both the web and mobile apps?

Craig

0 Kudos
DevraSchwartz
Emerging Contributor

Craig, that’s correct. I would like to be able to distinguish workers based on their organization (or assignment) such as police, fire, transportation, etc. My question: 1) Can Workforce do that? Or 2) Is there another tool that I should explore that addresses that need?

Thank you so much for responding.

Devra

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Devra,

It really depends on the purpose behind distinguishing workers/employees based on their organization or some other attribute.  Do you need to do this as part of the Dispatcher's workflow for assigning new work assignments?  Or, is it for other members in the organization to view the workers location along with their organization.  Are you able to go into a little more detail on that Devra?

The Workforce web app does not honor the symbology applied to the Workers layer in the web map; we override for the purposes of providing an experience where the Dispatcher can easily view the Workers thumbnail and position when hovering over the Worker in the list.  The Workforce mobile app will honor the symbology change.

Craig

0 Kudos
DevraSchwartz
Emerging Contributor

Thanks, Craig. We’re using this in a public safety/emergency management environment. In almost all situations, there will be a coordinated response involving multiple agencies (like police, fire, public works, transportation, etc). As it stands now, it isn’t a value add to show all workers on the map without being able to differentiate what function they serve/agency they represent. We are hoping to find a work around so that the Command Post and the Emergency Operations Center can see where different resources are located. The goal with that is to help take the guesswork out of directing field units on a tactical level (by identifying who is closest to a particular incident and what support resources/staff are nearby) and also help the Command Post leadership visualize resources so they can make decisions at a strategic level.

Looking forward to receiving your guidance.

Devra

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Devra,

If the goal is to use Workforce; I think you best choice is to use named user thumbnails that identify the worker. That would fall inline with the ability we've added in Workforce to better identify the worker using their thumbnail.

Unfortunately, labels will not work for this due to how we're displaying the workers on the web map.

JonathanGroves
Occasional Contributor

This is exactly what we do - we have four teams in two types and have bespoke icons for each team with a colour representing the category and a number for the team. Example attached. Workforce crops these (currently) to circular shapes which work well...

Jonathan

Custom icon showing a number 4 on a green background

JustinConnerWR
Frequent Contributor

Similarly, we sometimes have many assignments created at once that aren't all ready to be assigned out.  When managers are ready to assign them (for instance if a street patch crew is now available for catch basin repairs), it would be helpful if we could symbolize them by the assignment type within the Workforce webmap (or, at the very least, temporarily turn off the other assignment types as is possible for assignment status).  Instead, we've had to create web maps accessible in Collector for managers.  It would have been helpful to have had templates available for that workflow rather than building from scratch.

Check-box filters for workers or worker types (again, analogous to the assignment status) would similarly be helpful.

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alison,

In the scenario where you have many assignments that aren't ready to be assigned; is it possible to leave these in the Unassigned status?  If it's not possible, are you able to talk about the difference between an Unassigned assignment that isn't ready for assignment vs an Unassigned assignment that is ready?

Check-box filters for workers or worker types (again, analogous to the assignment status) would similarly be helpful.

Can you go into a little more detail on this request?

thanks,

Craig

0 Kudos