hi , am trying to add a new widget or develop a new thing in appBuilder , so how can i do it and if i can code with python please help

Jump to solution
05-26-2021 04:50 AM
ines-mahmoud
New Contributor III

i have esri online account so i think i don t need to download the AppBuilder esri

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

@ines-mahmoud  If you want to develop a custom widget then you should as Derek mentioned download WAB Developer edition and do your custom coding. Once your widget is developed then you can use it in a local portal (ArcGIS Enterprise) or your WAB Developer app that has been deployed to your own web server. You Can not use a custom widget in AGOL.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @ines-mahmoud

> ... am trying to add a new widget or develop a new thing in appBuilder , so how can i do it

I would start learning about customizing ArcGIS Web AppBuilder from this site,

ArcGIS Web AppBuilder Developer Edition

It has good documentation and tutorials to get you started.

> ... if i can code with python

You would code using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript

i have esri online account so i think i don t need to download the AppBuilder esri

You will need to use ArcGIS Web AppBuilder Developer Edition.

Hope this helps,

ines-mahmoud
New Contributor III

thanks a lot but i still looking for a place to sed the code 

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

@ines-mahmoud  If you want to develop a custom widget then you should as Derek mentioned download WAB Developer edition and do your custom coding. Once your widget is developed then you can use it in a local portal (ArcGIS Enterprise) or your WAB Developer app that has been deployed to your own web server. You Can not use a custom widget in AGOL.

ines-mahmoud
New Contributor III

thank you 

0 Kudos
JohnCodd
New Contributor III

Hi @DerekLaw and @RobertScheitlin__GISP ,

The requirements for ArcGIS Web AppBuilder (Dev ed.) do not seem to specify the need for a “web server”, however I am getting confused as the “Deploy your app” section says to download and deploy on your web server.  I do not have a web server, only a "regular" laptop.  The download and unzip seemed to go fine, and the startup through creating an AppID also seemed to work fine.  All the components are on my laptop.  I am connected to an Enterprise and have all the create access level rights to create Web Maps, Apps, and hosted services, etc.  Do I need the web server or can I just continue with the laptop and my enterprise organization account to build custom apps and widgets and deploy them on the Organization's infrastructure rather than from my laptop?  

Thank you,

John

John Codd
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

@JohnCodd  Custom widgets have two options WAB Dev deployed on your own web server, and ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal) that your organization has deployed. If you are working with just AGOL WAB then you are out of luck.

LearnThenShare
New Contributor III

@RobertScheitlin__GISP Thanks for your response.  I am in the "...ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal) that your organization has deployed." category.   I cannot find specific instructions for that.  I can only find the instructions for downloading WAB Dev to my own computer.  

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @JohnCodd

I don't have much to add onto @RobertScheitlin__GISP's post.

I do not have a web server, only a "regular" laptop. 

Depending on the Windows OS you have, Windows IIS might be available, but not "activated" on your laptop. 

Good luck with your widget development,

0 Kudos