What is the difference between Web App Builder and Web App Builder for Developers?

Jump to solution
06-03-2015 01:07 PM
ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

I installed Web App Builder for Developers on my machine and would like to know what Web App Builder for Developers has that Web App Builder does not have. And how do you access the code?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Anything that your builder will use to built your applications can be found here:

arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.1\client\stemapp

This is where you can add widgets, changes widget, add themes etc.

If you need to make changes to specific applications you can do that here"

arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.1\server\apps\your specific app number

View solution in original post

10 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Anything that your builder will use to built your applications can be found here:

arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.1\client\stemapp

This is where you can add widgets, changes widget, add themes etc.

If you need to make changes to specific applications you can do that here"

arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.1\server\apps\your specific app number

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Chris,

WAB Dev gives you access to all the source code for widgets and the StemApp. You access the code by opening the files in the stemapp directory. The stemapp directory is the files that are used when you create a new WAB App. Code changes to the files in the stemapp will carry over to any new app your build using WAB Dev version. The difference between WAB and WAB Dev is the access to the source code.

TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Also check out this great thread if you like to customize! Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List

ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

Thanks and to you to Robert Scheitlin, GISP​ I plan on breaking things with this tool as well; will be posting again I am sure, but this helps me to get started.

PrevinWong1
Esri Contributor

To add 2 more cents.  Just be wary that that since you do have access to the source code in WAB developer, understand where code changes are made.  When you create a new WAB app, and go to add widgets, those widgets get copied from client/stemapp to server/app.  If you make edits to your widget in stemapp, your server app(s) will not see those changes unless you remove/add your widget again.

NathanEnge
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris

I recently gave a 45 minute seminar at our Esri regional user conference on getting started with AWAB Dev Edition. There's a similar recorded web seminar here. This seminar explored the code structure, extending with custom widgets and themes and resources available to developers.

I've included my slide deck here for your reference. Might be good to just look over some of the graphics to understand the code structure and what it means to work with the Dev edition - for example, although you can create an app in ArcGIS Online using the hosted version of AWAB then import it into your own AWAB Dev edition; after you customize the app, you cannot then reimport it back into ArcGIS Online as a hosted app for security reasons.

RobertBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris,

Check out this video from the 2015 Dev Summit back in March:

ArcGIS Web AppBuilder - Customizing and Extending | Esri Video

And this Blog:

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog

Hope you are well,

Rob

ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

Thanks Robert Burke​. This helps. All is well. and a Jimmy John's cheer to you.

0 Kudos
RobertBurke
Esri Contributor

JJ's just announced a Redlands Location this week!  Been on Cloud 9, since.