Web AppBuilder

04-27-2015 01:44 PM
JosephCartier
New Contributor

Hello,

What is required to install and run Web AppBuilder Online? Do I need 10.3? Do I need a subscription other then a ArcGIS account/Profile?

All and any information is greatly appreciated!

Joe C.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
JosephCartier
New Contributor

I have downloaded the ZIP file but I have not yet installed it until I know what is required.

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Joseph, Web AppBuilder Online can be used totally online without downloading, but you do need an account.

If you downloaded Web Appbuilder 1.1 for Developers (WAB), that can be modified locally and hosted thru you web server.  At a minimum, you still need an ArcGIS Online account to register the WAB install.  For my tips Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder -  Developer Edition Installed​  and when you get into it more Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List

Do you know whether you plan to do it 100% online or host is local?  You can sign-up for a free developer account on ArcGIS Online, but I think it may have limitations when it comes to hosting online.  I have an enterprise ArcGIs Onine account, so I don't have alot of experience with the other right now.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

...oh, and no, you do not need 10.3 or any ArcGIS Desktop for that matter.....

0 Kudos
JosephCartier
New Contributor

Hello,

After logging into my ArcGIS online account and “add item”. I do not get the register portion...could my computer name be incorrect to cause this? Any ideas?

[cid:image004.jpg@01D08194.27DC8250]

Cheers,

Joe Cartier

GIS CAD Technician

Engineering - Infrastructure & Geomatics

Telephone: 519-255-6257 EXT. 6322

E-mail: jocartier@city.windsor.on.ca<mailto:jocartier@city.windsor.on.ca>

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Joseph,

Did you enter your actual local computer name for  "<myServerName>" 

this should be the machine you plan to do the work on, and not an ArcGIS Server or anything.  You attached graphic showed it as a blank, and I'm not sure if you whited it out for the graphic or if it was an invalid name.

I mentioned that for me it took a typo and did create the app, but then when I edited, I did correct the typo.

One other thing, are you the administer on your AGOL account?  I haven't tested to see if a AGOL user can be restricted from registering a computer, but that might be one of the options in the Admin tools.  If you are the administrator, that wouldn't be the issue.

If this doesn't work, let me know more about the computer name you used (do need actual name, but sample if any special character).  I would like to update my instructions if there is more that I could include to make it clearer.  Thanks

EDIT: ....oh, and importent step....make sure you selected the radio button for "Application".  That may be why it looks different.

JosephCartier
New Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

I have typed in the correct server name (Thanks Jeff!). I believe I am only a User for my ArcGis Online account. I am the administrator for my computer.

I am trying to learn different tools to create apps with widgets. My goal is add a widget to my story map. I am not a programmer so I am struggling to put the 2 together.

Cheers,

Joe Cartier

GIS CAD Technician

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Joseph, are you still having issues or is the software working now?

I just added a link in Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List to a PDF (under Blogs, Docs.. section) written by TAPAS DAS  _ that has a full workflow of installing and of various available custom widgets.  I haven't read thru it all yet but initial review looks good.  Tapas includes many snapshots/graphics of the process.  He posted is as a comment in the esearch thread (Robert S's), but that will be lost in the comments fairly quickly, so I'll post the direct link he provide, here.  http://www.tapasdas.com/WAB.pdf

(side note) Tapas - I suggest you create the announcement as a blog post or as a discussion (make sure to uncheck the "question" box, since it isn't something to be answered).  If you do that, I will link directly to that.

StanMcShinsky
Occasional Contributor III

That document is amazing. Thanks TAPAS DAS​!

0 Kudos
JosephCartier
New Contributor

Hello,

This is what popup I get after adding an item thru my account...

There is no Application redial button to select.......

Cheers,

Joe Cartier

GIS CAD Technician

0 Kudos