Web AppBuilder (WAB) Work Flow

Jump to solution
02-25-2019 01:24 PM
JanieGoddard
Occasional Contributor III

Web AppBuilder (WAB) Work Flow:

I am going from ArcGIS Server 10.2.1 with NO Portal to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 with Portal. I am installing the ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 on new hardware, a Web server in the DMZ, with the Enterprise Builder.

I want to make sure I understand the new workflow for my Web Apps. I will be going from FlexViewers to Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS.

So after I install the software and configure it with the Enterprise Builder the workflow is now different.

I will create Administrator users in Portal. I can add my past ArcGIS Server users to Portal using a CSV file.

I will create an Admin Connection to ArcGIS Server from Desktop. Do I need to create an Admin Connection to Portal?

I create my DB Connections and Register my Geodatabase.

I will add my old ArcGIS Server groups in Portal now in the Built-in Groups.  I will need to create my REST services on the ArcGIS Server side as before. I will use my MXDs.  I will assign the new group, in Portal, in the Share section as I create the REST service on the ArcGIS Server. Not all REST services will have a Group (only for secured Items.) The REST Service creation will create the REST service in ArcGIS Server. It will also register the REST service with Portal with its’ group permission, if a group was specified.

Then I will add Popups and symbology to the “Item” in Portal. (Now I don’t have to configure popups on each layer of my Web Maps in Portal every time.)

In Portal I will create a Web Map, using the Portal Item’s layer, for my web application. I will use the Add layers drop down to select my Item in Portal. I can add any unique customization of the popups for this Web Map.

At the end of the Web Map creation I share the Web Map with a Portal group, the Organization or everyone.

Then I select create Web AppBuilder, using the layers already defined in the Web Map. I add the ESRI widgets and any of Robert’s cool custom widgets I need.

I will need to share the Web Application with a Portal group, the Organization or everyone.

At the end of this my new Web Application is registered in the Portal. I give the new URL of the registered Web Application to my users.

Please advise me of any corrections, as I need to get this up and running.

Thanks so much,

Janie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Janie,

This workflow looks accurate!  If you have issues with the workflow once executed, feel free to call Technical Support and we'd be happy to help you.

Thanks,

Marisa

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Janie,

This workflow looks accurate!  If you have issues with the workflow once executed, feel free to call Technical Support and we'd be happy to help you.

Thanks,

Marisa

JanieGoddard

Thanks so much! This is quite a change from what I’m used to on standalone server. I just want to make sure I have it right.

Thanks,

Janie

0 Kudos
JanieGoddard

Hi Marisa,

Do I need to make my REST Services again from the MXD on the ArcGIS Server side?

Or do you just add shapefiles to Portal?

Am I missing the whole idea of Portal?

Thanks,
Janie

0 Kudos
JanieGoddard

I asked a tech and he said to use ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) to create the REST Services. He said to make sure I used my Portal credentials too.You link the Portal Credentials here: Use ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop with your portal—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Janie .

0 Kudos