WAB - widget to buffer polygon perimeter?

08-19-2016 09:21 AM
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Hello all - I need a widget that will buffer the outside of a polygon - not the centroid. User will type in address and then the widget should allow them to buffer their entire parcel.  (Goal is to locate fire hydrants that are within 500, 1000, or 1500 feet from the parcel boundary). NearMe only does the centroid. The situational analysis widget is great except users shouldn't draw their own polygons.  Is there anything canned I can use? Any advice appreciated, thanks!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Elizabeth,

When you install a custom widget if your WAB program located at C:\WebAppBuilderForArcGIS then you add new widgets to this path:

C:\WebAppBuilderForArcGIS\client\stemapp\widgets folder for the eSearch widget you would extract the eSearch folder fro the download to the C:\WebAppBuilderForArcGIS\client\stemapp\widgets folder.

SvivaManager
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Robert, sorry to burge in like that but this is the closest answer I could find to my question regarding your wonderful eSearch Widget.. I notice that when doing buffer, the buffer runs over the shape itself rather than the search results.. is there a way to run the buffer on the search results instead? Am I missing here something?

Kind Regards,

Shay.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Shay,

I notice that when doing buffer, the buffer runs over the shape itself rather than the search results..

??? What do you mean rather than the search results?

0 Kudos
SvivaManager

What I mean is that the buffer runs over the shape of the eSearch tool.

Is it possible to make it run on the search results polygon/point ? I've attached a picture to demonstrate - it's the line I draw that has a buffer but I'm trying to buffer the result itself..

esearch buffer

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sviva,

When using by shape the buffer will always be applied to the drawn shape. If you want to buffer the results of the by shape or by value then you must use the by spatial tab to do so.

SvivaManager

ugh brilliant! I had a feeling I'm missing something  I'm thinking on trying to extend your widget to have the ability for the users to choose which existing layer (or not?.. still need to think it through) they would like to add manually to the enhance search widget.. in one hand it's not practical to add all layers to the eSearch widget but on the other, they want to choose which layer to run the buffer on...  Any chance you can estimate the complexity of such feature? enable the user to insert a layer address and inject it straight into the eSearch widge..

Shay.

0 Kudos
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Robert-

Your e-search widget is great! Is there a way to get it to select the hydrants that are inside the buffer?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Elezabeth,

Sure, just use the by spatial tab and select hydrants from the dropdown.

0 Kudos
GeraldStanuch
New Contributor III

The "Situation Awareness" widget documentation shows two ways to define a location. You can draw a location using the widget's draw tools, or click an existing feature and choose "Set Location" in the feature's pop-up window. You don't have to draw or trace the parcel you want to buffer. And once a parcel is set, you can click on additional parcels and add/remove them in their pop-up. You can download the results to a file. Easiest way I've found to buffer a parcel and select the surrounding parcels to create a notification mail merge.

0 Kudos