WAB-Query customisation

05-03-2015 11:30 PM
MatthewWeed
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

I was going through the document which you have published for configuring WAB. I wanted to further customise my application by having a login page and later open user based authorised maps(layer definition)  thereafter.

I am finsing it difficult to understand complete architecture and page flows of the WAB. Kindly guide me how to preoceed further on this.

Thanks,

Tanya Bisen

0 Kudos
18 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Tanya, I would have to​ agree that Brackets is straight forward and free http://brackets.io

When you downloaded the app from WAB, where did you put the files?  Also, are you downloading WAB from Online or from the Developers edition?

Have you tried running the web page in a web browser?   It's probably good to test to see if it's running using the default setup before starting to customize it more.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Tanya, look at Robert's explanation of his pattern for developing

Re: Debugging WAB App in Visual Studio 2012 

The title suggested Visual Studio, but Robert explains his use with Brackets.

MatthewWeed
New Contributor II

Hi Rebecaa,

my major concern for using VS IDE was to understand the complete flow of pages of widgtes used in WAB. As explained to you earlier since I need to add login screen as my starting page of my application, I need to be sure which is the page in use so that I can go further for customisation.

With Brackets I will try how much I can achieve and incase you have any other resolution, kindly let me know.

Thanks,

Tanya

0 Kudos
MatthewWeed
New Contributor II

Hi Rebecca,

I was going through Do you have to use AGOL to use WAB?   thread. I managed to incorporate the login screen and then load the webmap based on authentication. The above thread says incase we want to incorporate our ARCGIS Server services in WAB we need to make changes in config.json file.

I tried doing he same but my map doesnt seem to load i.e. WAB is failing to load the layers. If I provide the "itemid", it seems to work fine.I want to apply layer definition to the dynamic map service I load, Can you please help me out in how to go about it. Do i need to make any changes in any .js files.

Thanks,

Tanya

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Tanya,

You will notice that there is a big bold statement on that thread that the thread was for WAB when it was is Beta and is no longer relevant to the released WAB.​

MatthewWeed
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the information. One more query,I was trying to configure LocalLayer widget with the default widget configuration in my application.

I followed the steps as mentioned in the readme file and have kept default ESRI layers in the cinfiguration file but when i run my application layers fail to load in the layerlist.

I made necessary changes in the config.json and LayerInfo.js file for Mapservice.

Do i need to further remove my itemid ?? Incase you have any other doc/link for the widget configuration,kindly share it with me.

Thanks,

Tanya

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Tanya, it's been a couple months since I wrote this, but check out Tips for using the custom LocalLayer widget with WAB-Dev edition   And Tips (LocalLayer widgets) for more customization and Updating (may help with others too)

Also, if you haven't checked TAPAS DAS post yet, there us a lot of good info here  Installing Robert’s Enhanced Search Widget for the Web AppBuilder​    The title is misleading....much more in the doc than just the enhanced search widget.

MatthewWeed
New Contributor II

Rebecca,

I am unable to configure custom widgets onto WAB. Basically I am trying to configure LocalLayer widget/Enhanced Search widget onto my existing application. I have gone through all the links as mentined by you and followed the steps but still unable to see the widhets in my widget pool. Attaching screenshots for your reference. How do i start my node.js server as I have tried restarting them manually but the repository items doesnt seems to get refreshed. I want to add these widgtes in my existing application.

myOwnCustomwidget.pngadded entry in config file.pngHI

Roberts widgets.png

0 Kudos
LemaoWu
Esri Contributor

Hi Manish,

I think you need specify the position property for the widget. And if you want to add the widget to WAB, the config.json file to edit is in this folder: \arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.1\client\stemapp\predefined-apps\default\. If you want to add the widget to an existing app, the config.json of the app is the place to edit.