WAB Popups Alternatives

02-09-2016 07:08 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

I'm not happy.

The ArcGIS Online option has ZERO functionality for Attachments that are images OTHER THAN a simple link to the attachment.

This doesn't even make sense. Even in the Flex system you could XML your pop-ups and do some fairly amazing stuff. Now....? We are in HTML5 land. I'm talking Javascript, JQuery, Animations, Charts, and more...

But the popups for a Web App Builder Mapplication are still... blerg.

So I'm wondering... before I begin to get into the Widget development phase (that I've been dying to do) has anyone else come up with a solution to provide some 'ooomph!' into your popups? Are there workarounds, hacks, etc.? The Parksfinder has the PERFECT solution for displaying attachments per feature class... Why hasn't that been adjusted into a Widget yet? Surely I'm not the only one looking at these popups and hanging my head in shame?!

Ugh.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrianO_keefe

Looks like I should have checked out the comment I left the other day. This is a hopeful.

Show Attachments in Web Map Popup

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have HTML 5 video, images, and even PDFs that load, in attachments, I did on a site a couple years ago so probably API vers 3.13 or 3.14.  Anyway it is simple to do for popups. Now... the question is, how does it play with WebApp Builder.  Yes you are right they should make more media options on the Online part and make it more customizable on the Builder. Anyhow, the code I did a while back was fairly simple, if it detected a field of a given name, I made it an image with html or a html5 video. Just a bunch of if statements and html with the += operator as the key, to string html fragments together for multiple fields.

On a related note, what ESRI needs to do for the popup in API and the Builder is let users MOVE the popup so it gets out of the way of the feature. I have been asked this hundreds of times by now. Anyone have a working sample of this? Is it easy?  I always figured ESRI would add it to a future API release but time has been dragging on. For now it hasn't been a priority but now that we are starting to roll out Builder apps in a big way to many more customers, I am again getting calls for moving the popup. I for now say the vendor (ESRI) will probably add it in the future. But at some point, there may be enough requests I have to jury-rig it myself.

AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Kevin,

Robert has created a widget to put the pop up in a panel off the map face:

Popup Panel Widget Version 1.3 - 12/15/15

Regards

Anthony

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Anthony! That's outstanding. Classic Robert. That'll do. 

I recommend nevertheless ESRI add this behind-the-scenes to the API. Users often assume they can grab the window and move it. So one day in the API I'd say ESRI just add that as a property 'draggable' true/false, via dragging the titlebar.   This widget is perfect though for us in the WAB.

0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe

Kevin,

Is there any chance that this is available for me to dissect? I'm a lazy coder and would rather take something that works than re-invent the wheel. If that's an option I would GREATLY appreciate it.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That what is available to dissect? My viewer?

I have done so many improvements to WAB I may publish it soon. I wrote a long Help explaining many Robert and ESRI Widgets and it is very nice, like a Tapas Das document. Links, a PDF and HTML vers, the whole 9 yards. I will publish it in a bit.

Fyi for draggable windows on another site we used jQuery UI it's so nice. If Esri bakes it into the API in the future it'll be easy as pie to enable popups and all kinds of other things to be moveable. For now Robert's solution appears the best way for making sure popup info won't cover a feature, like a parcel for example.

0 Kudos